|Foliage and flowers|
|Subgenus:||Sorbus subg. Sorbus|
Sorbus sargentiana (Sargent's rowan; Chinese: 晚绣花楸; pinyin: wan xiu hua qiu) is a species of flowering plant in the family Rosaceae, native to southwestern Sichuan and northern Yunnan in China, where it grows at altitudes of 2,000–3,200 m (6,560–10,500 ft).
It is a small to medium-sized deciduous tree growing to 6–16 m (20–52 ft) tall, with a trunk up to 50 cm (20 in) in diameter, and a rounded crown. The bark is dark grey, and the shoots very stout, with large (1–2 cm), dark red, sticky resinous winter buds. The leaves are the largest of any rowan, dark green with impressed veining above, glaucous beneath, 20–35 cm (8–14 in) long and 15–20 cm (6–8 in) broad, with persistent 1 cm broad stipules. The pinnate leaves consist of 9–11 oblong-lanceolate leaflets 5–14 cm (2–6 in) cm long and 3.5–5 cm (1–2 in) broad, with an acute apex, serrated margins. The basal leaflets are slightly smaller than the apical leaflets. They change to a rich orange-pink to purple or dark red in mid-autumn (fall). The flowers are 5–7 mm in diameter, with five white petals and 20 yellowish-white stamens; they are produced 200–500 together in very large corymbs 12–25 cm (5–10 in) in diameter, in late spring to early summer. The fruit is a pome 5–8 mm diameter, bright orange-red to red, maturing in early autumn; it is juicy, and readily eaten as soon as it is ripe by thrushes, which disperse the seeds.
Cultivation and uses
- "BSBI List 2007". Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Lu Lingdi and Stephen A. Spongberg. "Sorbus sargentiana". Flora of China. Missouri Botanical Garden, St. Louis, MO & Harvard University Herbaria, Cambridge, MA. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Rushforth, K. (1999). Trees of Britain and Europe. Collins ISBN 0-00-220013-9.
- Harrison, Lorraine (2012). RHS Latin for gardeners. United Kingdom: Mitchell Beazley. p. 224. ISBN 9781845337315.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Sorbus sargentiana". Retrieved 4 June 2013.
- "AGM Plants - Ornamental" (PDF). Royal Horticultural Society. July 2017. p. 98. Retrieved 12 November 2018.
- Hadfield, M. "Sorbus sargentiana Koehre." Quart. J. Forest 72.2 (1978): 105-107.