Sorensen Gross Construction Company
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ghassan Saab, Chief Executive Officer and Richard Sly, President|
Sorensen Gross Construction Company (SGCS) is an American construction company, operating out of Flint, Michigan. Sorensen Gross has other offices in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Roseville, Minnesota, Schaumburg, Illinois, St. Louis, Missouri, Vienna, Virginia, Tampa, Florida, and Charlotte, North Carolina.
Sorensen Gross Construction Company was founded in 1925 in Grand Rapids, Michigan by John Sorensen and Robert Gross. The company moved to Flint, Michigan in 1927, where it is still presently operating. In 1966, the company was taken over by Ghassan Saab. In 1972, Richard Sly joined Ghassan Saab in the executive offices.
With the changing times and evolving technologies, Ghassan Saab and Richard Sly expanded what the company had to offer including different Delivery Systems, Contract Services, and On-Site Construction Supervision.
In 1999, Sorensen Gross was ranked in The Michigan Private 100, placing as the 34th the fastest-growing private business in the state of Michigan. In 2005, Sorensen Gross' safety records were recognized for having more than 50,000 hours with a zero-incident rate.
Sorensen Gross partnered up with Uptown Developments, a developer group that owns several buildings in downtown Flint, and work together to renovate much of Downtown Flint. Quickly earning the trust and business of Genesee County, Sorensen Gross began building many schools, restaurants, strip malls and other commercial buildings. Expanding horizons, Sorensen Gross began developing overseas as well.
Sorensen Gross has a permanent presence in North Carolina and Canada. The company completed projects in the Southeastern and Midwestern United States, Egypt and Jordan. Some major projects undertaken by Sorensen Gross include:
- Bishop International Airport
- Flint Institute of Arts
- Flint Institute of Music
- The Whiting Auditorium
- Mott Community College
- General Motors Buick City
- Genesee County Courthouse
- Genesys Health Park
- Hurley Medical Center
- McLaren Regional Medical Center
- Multiple buildings for the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and Flint.
- Wastewater Treatment Plant in Aqaba, Jordan.
- Strip Mall including: Don Franco's Hair Salon, Tropical Smoothie Cafe
- "Business Report". The Flint Journal, 1999.
- Miller, J: "Awards- Area companies' safety records recognized". The Flint Journal, 2006.
- "Middle East work nothing new for local firm". Flint Journal, 2005.
- Abercrombie, S: "Local Guys Get Bid to Build Tech Center", page 1. The Flint Journal, 2000.
- "Business Briefs". The Flint Journal, 2009.
- http://www.meed.com. 11 October 2002 "Sorensen Gross Construction Company of the US is understood to have been awarded a $7.2 million contract to build a corrosion control facility to support the maintenance of various aircraft at the Cairo West air base". Middle East Economic Digest.
- Miller, J: "Middle East work nothing new for local firm". The Flint Journal, 2005.
- Angelo, L: "Salon Heading to New Strip Mall". The Flint Township News, 2003.