Cîmpeanu at a PSD event in 2015
|Prime Minister of Romania|
5 November 2015 – 17 November 2015
|Preceded by||Victor Ponta|
|Succeeded by||Dacian Cioloș|
|Minister of National Education|
17 December 2014 – 17 November 2015
|Prime Minister||Victor Ponta|
|Preceded by||Remus Pricopie|
|Succeeded by||Patriciu Achimaș-Cadariu|
Sorin Mihai Cîmpeanu
18 April 1968
|Political party||ALDE (until 2017)|
Pro Romania (from 2017)
|Alma mater||University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine|
National Intelligence Academy
Sorin Mihai Cîmpeanu (Romanian pronunciation: [soˈrin miˈhaj kɨmˈpe̯anu]) is a Romanian politician, former Minister of Education in Ponta IV cabinet and, between 5 and 17 November 2015, acting Prime Minister of Romania, after President Klaus Iohannis accepted Prime Minister Ponta's resignation. Klaus Iohannis's appointment of Sorin Cîmpeanu was just a stopgap measure until a new candidate for the post was selected.
As Minister of Education
Sorin Cîmpeanu was appointed Minister of National Education in Ponta IV cabinet, on 17 December 2014. During his mandate, Cîmpeanu initiated the controversial Emergency Ordinance that amnestied plagiarists, allowing doctors to give up the title, given that then Prime Minister, Victor Ponta, was accused of plagiarizing his doctoral thesis. Subsequently, lawmakers voted against this ordinance.
Sorin Cîmpeanu is not part of a political party, he was proposed and supported on the education portfolio in Ponta government by PC leader Daniel Constantin, he is the suspended rector of the University of Agronomy in Bucharest and suspended president of the National Council of Rectors.
As acting Prime Minister
After his appointment, Cîmpeanu assured investors and creditors that "Romania is and must remain a factor of stability". He also told Romanians that as balanced an economy as possible is needed in order to preserve trust in the country.
He also indicated that the interim government would continue to work on the country's 2016 budget plans, although it is not empowered to pass new laws.
- "Klaus Iohannis îl numeşte premier interimar pe ministrul Educaţiei, Sorin Cîmpeanu. „Am decis să chem la consultări societatea civilă şi strada"". Mediafax. 5 November 2015.
- Larisa Bernaschi, Carmen Vintilă (5 November 2015). "Ministrul Educaţiei, Sorin Câmpeanu, premier interimar. Klaus Iohannis, către protestatari: "V-am văzut, v-am auzit, voi ține cont de solicitările voastre!. Voi convoca societatea civilă și strada la consultări"". Evenimentul Zilei.
- Kit Gillet (5 November 2015). "Sorin Cimpeanu Is Appointed Interim Prime Minister of Romania". The New York Times.
- Raluca Pantazi (5 November 2015). "Cine este Sorin Cimpeanu si cum a ajuns noul prim-ministru interimar. Cimpeanu a initiat Ordonanta care permitea amnistierea plagiatorilor". HotNews.ro.
- Sorin Mihai Cîmpeanu on gov.ro
| Prime Minister of Romania
|This article about a Romanian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|