Sorona is DuPont's brand of triexta (polytrimethylene terephthalate). It was named and commercialized in 2000. The fibers are claimed to be both soft and extremely stain resistant, while exhibiting high strength and stiffness
Sorona is a co-polymer of 1,3-propanediol (obtained by fermentation) and petroleum-derived terephthalic acid (TPA) or dimethyl terephthalate (DMT). Related polymers in this series include polyethylene terephthalate (2GT) and polybutylene terephthalate (polytetramethylene terephthalate) (4GT).
The polymer Sorona has been mentioned by J. Craig Venter in interviews as an example of an application of industrial biotechnology. He was quoted as saying, "DuPont argues that SORONA is going to be the first billion-dollar biotech product other than a pharmaceutical." The renewable resource content of SORONA is 37% by weight. DuPont won a 2003 Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award for their development of the fermentation process for production of 1,3-propanediol from corn-derived glucose in recombinant Escherichia coli K-12.
Uses and Applications
Sorona has been used in the manufacture of clothing, residential carpets, and automotive fabrics and plastic parts. Mohawk Industries is currently the exclusive carpet manufacturer currently making carpets using Dupont Sorona fiber.
- "Triexta - DuPont™ Sorona® - DuPont USA". dupont.com.
- http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-27700019_ITM DuPont SORONA(TM) Selected As Brand Name For 3GT Polymer
- "Automotive". dupont.com.
- "The mechanical properties and structure of poly(m-methylene terephthalate) fibers". wiley.com.
- Decoding the DNA decoder - Cosmic Log - msnbc.com
- Manahan, S.E. Environmental Chemistry, CRC Press, 2005, p. 503.
- "DuPont plans to cut $1 billion in costs". The News Journal.
- "Biopolymer for Carpet, Apparel and Automotive - DuPont™ Sorona® - DuPont USA". dupont.com.
- "DuPont. The miracles of Science™". dupont.com.
- "Page Not Found - Mohawk Flooring". mohawkflooring.com.
- New Polymer Platform for the Future — Sorona® from Corn Derived 1,3-Propanediol
- characterization of Sorona polymer from corn-derived 1,3-propanediol
- The miracles of Science™
- for Carpet, Apparel and Automotive - DuPont™ Sorona® - DuPont USA
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONFERENCE -GPEC 2005CREATING SUSTAINABILITY FOR THE ENVIRONMENTPresentation TitleDuPont Sorona® Polymer: A New Sustainable Platform for Growth
|This article about polymer science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|