Sorrento Valley, San Diego
|Sorrento Valley, San Diego|
|Community of San Diego|
|Country||United States of America|
Sorrento Valley is a neighborhood of San Diego, California. It is located about 17 mi (27 km) north of Downtown San Diego and its main airport, Lindbergh Field. It is roughly bounded by Interstate 5 and interstate 805, Camino Santa Fe to the east, the Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve to the north and Miramar Road to the south, as shown on the San Diego Police Department's neighborhood map.
While originally envisioned and zoned for industrial use, Sorrento Valley is now home to over 5,000 residents spread across three major single family home and condominium developments. Sorrento Valley is known as a center for high tech, biotech and scientific research, aided by its close proximity to the University of California, San Diego. It is part of the city's Mira Mesa, Torrey Pines, and University community planning areas.
Sorrento Valley is home to many high tech, biotech, and IT companies. Notable companies in the neighborhood include, Qualcomm, Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Verizon, Google Inc., Texas Instruments, Optimer Pharmaceuticals, ACTIVE Network, Websense, Einstein Medical, and Scripps Clinic. In 2011 the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced plans to move into a $100 million, six-story building on Vista Sorrento Parkway in Sorrento Valley. The building houses 400 special agents and support staff; the FBI occupied the building in May 2013.
The community (zip code 92121) has a median income of approximately $102,391/year.
The West edge of Sorrento Valley contains the I-5 and I-805 freeways merge and/or split. The Sorrento Valley train station is a stop for the Coaster commuter and Amtrak Pacific Surfliner rail lines, which provide train links to Oceanside and Downtown San Diego.
Major company headquarters
- Qualcomm corporate headquarters
- Chicken of the Sea corporate headquarters
- Websense corporate headquarters
- Accelrys US corporate headquarters
- Arena Pharmaceuticals corporate headquarters
- Webster University San Diego Metropolitan Campus
- "City Wide Neighborhood Map" (PDF). San Diego Police Department. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- San Diego Planning Profiles
- FBI building announced for Sorrento Mesa San Diego Union-Tribune, January 14, 2011
- Davis, Kristina (May 27, 2013). "FBI moves into new Sorrento Valley HQ". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- U.S. Census