Jen and Sylvia Soska
Jen and Sylvia Soska
|Other names||Twisted Twins, The Soska Sisters|
|Occupation||Film directors, producers, screenwriters, actresses|
Jen Soska and Sylvia Soska (born April 29, 1983), also known as The Soska Sisters or The Twisted Twins, are Canadian twin sisters who work together as film directors, producers and screenwriters. They are known for directing often violent and visceral horror movies such as Dead Hooker in a Trunk, See No Evil 2 and American Mary.
Jen and Sylvia Soska were born on their mother's birthday, April 29, in Canada. The twins graduated from Argyle Secondary School. Their love of horror began at an early age, when their mother gave in to their constant begging to watch Poltergeist. They decided to work in the horror movie field soon after, initially trying to become actresses and working as extras in various well known films and television series', but were very unhappy with the stereotypical twin roles they were being offered.
Dead Hooker in a Trunk
Seeking to make themselves marketable for better roles, Jen and Sylvia briefly attended film school and created Dead Hooker in a Trunk as a final project. Dead Hooker in a Trunk was directed, produced, written by and starred the twins. The film was shot for $2,500 and released by IFC. It received an overall rating of 80% from critics at Rotten Tomatoes (4 fresh and 1 rotten review). The twins starred in the film as twin sisters – Badass (Sylvia) and Geek (Jen).
Following their first project, the twins struggled to find work for women in the film industry. Deciding to make films themselves, they created American Mary, and have continued to direct films ever since. American Mary was shown at Film4 Fright Fest, Toronto After Dark Film Festival and Monster Fest, gaining positive reviews and critical acclaim from each festival.  They make an appearance in this film, again playing twins known in the canon as The Demon Twins of Berlin.
ABCs of Death 2, See No Evil 2, Vendetta and beyond
Jen and Sylvia Soska made two films for WWE Studios: See No Evil 2 and Vendetta. The sisters directed a segment in ABCs of Death 2 entitled T is for Torture Porn and appear in the segment W is for Wish as witches. Alongside making cameo appearances in their own films, the twins have cameoed in Suburban Gothic, Dead Rising: Watchtower, and The Blackburn Asylum.
The Soskas have been working on a monster horror film entitled Bob, rumoured to have already been re-partnered with Masters FX, but have yet to find studio backing for it.
As of 2018, the Soskas are co-writing and directing Rabid, a remake of David Cronenberg's 1977 film of the same name, starring Laura Vandervoort and former professional wrestler CM Punk. The film is set for a theatrical release in 2019. Avid fans of David Cronenberg's work, the Soskas set out to make a film that would please their Canadian idol. The sisters hired cast and crew from Cronenberg's previous films as well as a team with a huge resume of creating iconic horror. They would team again with Masters FX having Steve Kostanski coming on board to be their head creature designer on the piece. A film that focuses on the fashion world, it was with costume designer Morganne Tree Newson and Roger Gingerich of Canadian Fashion week to create the prolific designs seen in the film.
Jen and Sylvia Soska are passionate about raising awareness for blood donation causes, and curate a new blood donation PSA anthology for Women in Horror Month every year. As of 2019, they will have been making their Massive Blood Drive PSAs for ten years. As a celebration for their tenth year, the Soskas teamed with Terror Threads with a design that would have partial proceeds split between Canadian Blood Services and the Red Cross.
Jen and Sylvia have also worked as writers for Marvel Comics, writing a story featuring Night Nurse for Marvel's Secret Wars Journal #5 in 2015, then a short story called The Ripley with the Guardians of the Galaxy, and a Deadpool story for the first annual Avengers Halloween Special in 2018. In January 2019, the Soska Sisters started writing Black Widow for Marvel with illustrator, Flaviano, where they took Nat on one of her darkest storylines after her death in a series called 'Seeing Red.'
Jen and Sylvia have also teamed with Daniel Way and Rob Dumo as writers for an original graphic novel entitled Kill-Crazy Nymphos Attack!, featuring the sisters' likenesses in two characters called The Sister Sisters, and released in 2018.
The twins were also the hosts of both seasons of the Blumhouse-produced Hellevator on GSN. They appear as themselves in horror documentaries as well as Eli Roth's History of Horror which airs October 2018.
The Soska Sisters are fans of Grindhouse cinema, and are influenced by directors Robert Rodriguez, Mary Harron, David Cronenberg, Wes Craven, and Eli Roth, who helped inspire them to make their film American Mary. The twins cite Alfred Hitchcock as an influence; they appear in all their films and have a tendency to kill off blonde females in their scripts, quoting the famous filmmaker "blondes make the best victims."
|2001||Josie and the Pussycats|
|2009||Dead Hooker in a Trunk|
|2014||ABCs of Death 2|
|2014||See No Evil 2|
|2015||Dead Rising: Watchtower|
|2008||Kyle XY||"I've Had the Time of My Life"|
- Mark Leiren-Young. "Vancouver's Soska Sisters bring the madness to Whistler Film Festival". Canada.com. Archived from the original on 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "Twisted sisters stick the knife into their latest film American Mary". if.com.au. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- Phylicia Torrevillas. "Call them the twisted sisters". Metro Vancouver. Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- James Whittington. "Exclusive Interview With Jen And Sylvia Soska, Directors Of Dead Hooker In A Trunk". Horror Channel. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Greg Christie. "Boozie Movies! Dead Hooker in a Trunk Review". Twitch Film. Archived from the original on 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "IFC Midnight Picks Up Dead Hooker in a Trunk for Limited Theatrical and VOD Release". Joblo.com. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Bloody Disgusting". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Film Review: Dead Hooker In A Trunk". Brutalashell.com. Archived from the original on 2012-02-02. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Rants and Raves". KPBS. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Kristy Jett. "Soska Sister talks "AMERICAN MARY" casting and more". Fangoria. Retrieved 2011-08-07.
- "American Mary". Dread Central. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Bob Freville. "Soska Twins Talk About Ass-Kicking, Hookers & American Mary". Kotorimagazine.com. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- Rose, Steve (11 January 2013). "The Soska sisters are the new faces of horror". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "About Us". Twisted Twins Productions. 2011. Archived from the original on 5 October 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Dead Hooker in a Trunk". Rotten Tomatoes. 2009-12-31. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "Sylvia Soska - Biography". imdb.com. 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "American Mary". Rotten Tomatoes. 2013-05-31. Retrieved 2015-10-14.
- "Vendetta". Rotten Tomatoes. 2015-06-12. Retrieved 2015-10-14.