|Place of origin||Indonesia|
|Region or state||Java|
|Associated cuisine||Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, and Suriname (known as saoto ayam)|
|Main ingredients||Chicken in spicy light turmeric soup|
Soto ayam is a traditional Indonesian dish which uses ingredients such as chicken, lontong, noodles, and rice vermicelli. Soto ayam is popular in Singapore, Malaysia and Suriname. Turmeric is added as one of its main ingredients which makes the yellow chicken broth. It is one of the most popular variant of soto, a traditional soup commonly found in Indonesian cuisine. Besides chicken and vermicelli, it can also be served with hard-boiled eggs, slices of fried potatoes and Chinese celery leaves. Fried shallots are usually added as garnish. Coconut milk (santan) is also used as an additional ingredient. Koya, a powder of mixed prawn crackers with fried garlic, or sambal is a common topping. Krupuk or emping is also a common topping. Lalapan is usually served as a side dish.
Different regions have their own variation of this dish, for instance:
- Soto Ambengan, originated from Ambengan, Surabaya. Soto Ambengan is famous for its koya topping.
- Soto Banjar
- Soto Kudus
- Soto Medan
- Soto Lamongan
- Soto Lenthok
- Soto Semarang
- Soto (food)
- List of chicken dishes
- List of Indonesian soups
- List of soups
- Noodle soup
- "Soto Ayam at Malioboro Country". 2011-10-29.
- "Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup (Soto Ayam)". Food.com.
- Harpham, Z.; Books, M. (2004). The Essential Wok Cookbook. Murdoch Books. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-74045-413-1. Retrieved Feb 1, 2015.
- "Singapore Chicken Soto Soup (Singapore Soto Ayam)".
- "Ini Haji Paijan, Orang Indonesia yang Populerkan Soto Ayam di Malaysia (This is Haji Paijian, the Indonesian who Popularised Soto Ayam in Malaysia)". DetikNews. 30 November 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Kruger, V. (2014). Balinese Food: The Traditional Cuisine & Food Culture of Bali. Tuttle Publishing. p. 162. ISBN 978-1-4629-1423-4. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "Soto Ayam". Archived from the original on 2016-10-26.
- Times, I. D. N.; Nisa, Aria Khoirun. "11 Jenis Soto yang Ada di Indonesia, Mana Favoritmu?". IDN Times (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2021-05-02.
- Deviana, Intan. "5 Rekomendasi Soto Ayam Paling Enak di Semarang". idntimes (in Indonesian). Retrieved 29 June 2022.