Souderton Area High School
|Souderton Area High School|
|625 Lower Road
Souderton Area School District
Souderton, PA, Montgomery County, 18964
|Opened||2009 (New Building) – 1931(Original Building)|
|School district||Souderton Area School District|
|Vice principal||Matt Haines
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Enrollment||2725 pupils in 2010|
|• Grade 9||543|
|• Grade 10||584|
|• Grade 11||512|
|• Grade 12||545|
|• Other||Enrollment projected to decline to 2533 in 2020|
|Hours in school day||7|
|School color(s)||Red and White|
|Slogan||Great History, Exceptional Future|
|Website||Souderton Area High School|
Souderton Area High School is a large, suburban high school located at 625 Lower Road in Souderton, Pennsylvania, United States, and serves residents in Souderton, Telford, Harleysville, and surrounding communities. It is a part of the Souderton Area School District.
Under former calculation formula:
In 2011, the school achieved AYP status. In 2010, the school was in Making Progress: School Improvement Level II due to chronic, low student achievement. In 2009, the high school was in School Improvement Level I status due to lagging student academic achievement.
11th Grade Reading
- 2011 - 88.2% on grade level (% below basic). State - 69.1% of 11th graders are on grade level.
- 2010 - 82.1% on grade level (6.4% below basic). In Pennsylvania, 66% of 11th graders are on grade level.
- 2009 - 80.1% (8.3% below basic), State - 65%
- 2008 - 82.1% (7.5% below basic), State - 65%
11th Grade Math:
- 2011 - 85.6% on grade level (4.7% below basic). In Pennsylvania, 60.3% of 11th graders are on grade level.
- 2010 - 83.9% (5.9% below basic). State - 59%
- 2009 - 73.2% (11.2% below basic). State - 56%.
- 2008 - 74.5% (11.6% below basic), State - 56%
11th Grade Science:
- 2011 - 67.1% on grade level (4.5% below basic). State - 40% of 11th graders were on grade level.
- 2010 - 54.3% (9.5% below basic). State - 39%
- 2009 - 66.1% (4.5% below basic). State - 40%
- 2008 - 55% (8% below basic). State - 39%
The district offers a variety of clubs, activities and sports. The Souderton Area School Board determines eligibility policies to participate in these programs.
By Pennsylvania law, all K-12 students in the district, including those who attend a private nonpublic school, cyber charter school, charter school and those homeschooled, are eligible to participate in the extracurricular programs including all athletics. They must meet the same eligibility rules as the students enrolled in the district's schools.
- 1965 Donald Haldeman, 1976 Summer Olympics gold medalist in trapshooting
- 1981 Jamie Moyer, pitcher for eight Major League Baseball teams from 1986-2012 and currently a member of the Philadelphia Phillies' broadcasting team
- 1984 Jon Wurster Drummer for Superchunk and The Mountain Goats and comedian with Scharpling and Wurster
- 1985 Rob Bonfiglio, Carnie Wilson's husband
- 1986 Rob Kampia, Marijuana activist
- 1988 Steven Stefanowicz Private military contractor at Abu Ghraib prison. Accused of ordering abusive interrogations some have labelled torture.
- 1989 Actor, moderator, radio host and Bloodhound Gang bass player Jared Hasselhoff.
- 1997 Michael Joseph "Spanky G" Guthier. Former drummer for popular comedy rock group The Bloodhound Gang
- 2009 Jake Metz Arena Football League player for the Philadelphia Soul
- Enrollment and Projections by LEA Report, Pennsylvania Department of Education, July 2010
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2011). "Souderton Area School District Academic Achievement Report data table".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (March 15, 2011). "New 4-year Cohort Graduation Rate Calculation Now Being Implemented".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education. "Souderton Area School District Academic Achievement Report Card 2009". Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children. "High School Graduation rate 2007". Retrieved January 31, 2011.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2011). "SOUDERTON AREA SHS - School AYP Overview".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (September 29, 2011). "2010-2011 PSSA and AYP Results".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2010). "2009-2010 PSSA and AYP Results".
- The Times-Tribune. (September 2009). "Grading Our Schools database, 2009 PSSA results".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (August 2008). "2007-2008 PSSA and AYP Results".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2009). "Souderton Area High School Academic Achievement Report Card 2009".
- The Times-Tribune. (2009). "Grading Our Schools database, 2009 Science PSSA results,".
- Souderton Area School District Extracurriculars Policy 122 and Souderton Area School District Interscholastic Athletics 123. Souderton Area School District Policy Manual. 2010.
- Pennsylvania Office of the Governor Press Release, (November 10, 2005). "Home-Schooled, Charter School Children Can Participate in School District Extracurricular Activities,".
- Souderton Area High School
- Souderton Big Red Marching Band
- Souderton Forte Indoor Color Guard
- Souderton Mirage Drumline
- Souderton Jazz Band
- Souderton Academic Decathlon