Soul (2020 film)
|Directed by||Pete Docter|
|Produced by||Dana Murray|
|Screenplay by||Pete Docter|
|Story by||Pete Docter|
|Music by||Trent Reznor|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios|
Soul is an upcoming American computer-animated fantasy comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios for Walt Disney Pictures. It is directed by Pete Docter, produced by Dana Murray and stars the voices of Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Questlove, Phylicia Rashad and Daveed Diggs. The film is scheduled to be released on June 19, 2020.
Joe Gardner is a middle school music teacher who has long dreamed of performing jazz music onstage, and finally gets a chance after impressing other jazz musicians during an opening act at the Half Note Club. However, an accident causes Gardner's soul to be separated from his body and transported to the "You Seminar", a center in which souls develop and gain passions before being transported to a newborn child. Gardner must work with souls in training, such as 22, a soul with a dim view on life after being trapped for years at the You Seminar, in order to return to Earth.
- Jamie Foxx as Joe Gardner, a middle school music teacher with a deep passion for jazz.
- Tina Fey as 22, a soul trapped in the You Seminar with a dim view of life.
- Questlove as Curly, a drummer in Joe's band.
- Phylicia Rashad as Joe's mother.
- Daveed Diggs as Paul, Joe's neighborhood nemesis.
In early 2016, it was announced that Pete Docter was working on a new film. In June 2018, it was announced that Pete Docter was planning to complete his film despite being Chief Creative Officer at Pixar after John Lasseter's departure. In June 2019, Pixar announced a new film titled Soul with Docter directing and Murray producing, with a synopsis about a cosmic journey through New York City on Twitter.
- Glardyna, Carolin (August 24, 2019). "'Soul' Cast: Pixar Reveals Names At D23". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on August 26, 2019. Retrieved August 27, 2019.
- Fuster, Jeremy (August 24, 2019). "'Soul': Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey Star in Pixar's Most Existential Adventure Yet". The Wrap. Archived from the original on August 24, 2019. Retrieved August 24, 2019.
- Radulovic, Petrana (August 24, 2019). "Pixar's latest film Soul is a metaphysical comedy with the studio's first black lead". Polygon. Archived from the original on August 24, 2019. Retrieved August 25, 2019.
- @TheDisInsider (August 24, 2019). "'Soul' will feature music from John Batiste and original score from Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross. Questlove from The Roots will be playing a Jazz Drummer, Phylicia Rashad plays Joe's mother, Daveed Diggs also starring, as well as Tina Fey and Jamie Foxx" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Pete Docter - Oscars: What the Nominees Are Saying". The Hollywood Reporter. January 14, 2016. Archived from the original on June 26, 2019. Retrieved June 22, 2019.
- "Film Reviews, Hong Kong Cinema Listings & Interviews – Time Out Hong Kong | Interview: Pixar president Jim Morris – 'The Good Dinosaur'". Time Out. June 2, 2016. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- Verlaque, Juliette (June 22, 2018). "End of an Era: Inside Pixar on the Eve of John Lasseter's Departure". TheWrap. Archived from the original on June 20, 2019. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 19, 2019). "'Soul' Will Be Pixar's Big Pic Next Summer". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on June 19, 2019. Retrieved June 19, 2019.
- Soul [@PixarSoul] (June 19, 2019). "One year from today, Pixar Animation Studios will take you on a journey from the streets of New York City to the cosmic realms to discover the answers to life's most important questions. Disney & Pixar's "Soul" arrives in theaters on June 19, 2020" (Tweet). Retrieved June 19, 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Disney release schedule" (PDF) (Press release). Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. May 7, 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on June 26, 2019. Retrieved June 19, 2019.