Souleye (hip hop artist)
Souleye in 2015
|Birth name||Mario Treadway|
|Also known as||Souleye|
|Born||May 3, 1980|
Sturbridge, Massachusetts, U.S.
Mario Treadway (born May 3, 1980), better known by his stage name, Souleye, is an American hip hop artist and rapper. He has independently released ten albums, including his latest, Soul School, which was released in November 2019. Among others, he has performed and recorded with Bassnectar, BLVD, and his wife, Alanis Morissette.
Early life and education
Treadway was born in Sturbridge, Massachusetts to a father of partial Native American ancestry and a mother of Italian American descent. He began rapping in high school, from which he graduated in 1999. Treadway went on to attend Western New England College for a year before leaving school. He had an older brother who died by suicide.
In 2001 he began writing, performing and traveling with a loosely knit collective of conscious hip hop artists called the Transcendental Alliance; in 2003, he released an album titled Soul Sessions with underground hip hop artist Campaign.
In 2003, Treadway's best friend was diagnosed with cancer. After his death, Treadway retreated to Mount Greylock in Massachusetts. In the woods alone, he wrote the album Flexible Morality. In 2004, his brother died by suicide, and while cleaning out his apartment Treadway discovered that his brother had affixed a sticker which read "Music Matters" on the ceiling where he hanged himself. Given the same sticker by his brother years previously, Treadway embraced "Music Matters" as his mission statement and released Universoul Alchemy that same year.
In 2006, he teamed with producer Samuel "Sleepyhead" Pohner in Asheville, North Carolina, and as Souleye & Sleepyhead, they released Intergalactic Vibes. The album won a new music contest sponsored by Relix, and as the contest winners, Souleye and Sleepyhead performed on the weeklong Jamcruise 4. While there, Souleye freestyled with Michael Franti, and was invited to play with Bassnectar. Following the Jamcruise, he performed extensively with Bassnectar. Souleye wrote and recorded the song "Amorphous Form" on Bassnectar's album Underground Communication. In 2007, Souleye joined the San Francisco-based electronic band BLVD, with whom he recorded the album Music for People. He toured with the band until 2009, and subsequently began performing once again as Souleye.
He met Morissette at a meditation gathering in a Los Angeles residence in 2009, and they were married in 2010. Treadway opened Morissette's 2012 "Guardian Angel" tour and has since collaborated with her frequently. He released the album Iron Horse Running in 2013 and Identified Time in 2014.
In 2015, Souleye released his album Shapeshifting. The full-length featured focus tracks, "The Victim" and "Labeled". The music video for "The Victim" premiered on Yahoo Music and "Labeled" made it to the Top 20 Official European Independent Music Charts.
On November 11, 2016, Souleye released the debut single, "Follow Your Heart", to his forthcoming album Wild Man. Following up to his first single, Souleye released "Snow Angel" featuring Alanis Morissette in January 2017. The music video premiered on Fuse TV and has been reviewed and featured by Above Average Hip-Hop, ThisIs50, and The Huffington Post. The album was produced by Crush Effect and was released in September 2017.
Treadway and singer-actress Alanis Morissette married on May 22, 2010. Their son Ever was born on December 25, 2010, their daughter Onyx on June 23, 2016, and their son Winter on August 8, 2019.
- Soul School 2019
- Wildman 2017
- Shapeshifting 2015
- Identified Time 2014
- Iron Horse Running 2013
- Music For People (with BLVD) 2008
- Balance in Babylon 2007
- Intergalactic Vibes 2005
- UniverSoul Alchemy 2004
- Flexible Morality 2003
- Soul Sessions 2002
- VokabKompany& Stephan Jacobs - "Me Against Me" single 2013
- VokabKompany - "Let it Fly" single 2013
- Apaulo 8 - "Youthful Inheritance" from Infinite Possibilities 2011
- Lila Rose - "Magick" from Osmos Your Sonica 2009
- MiMosa - "Delivery" from Hostilis 2009
- Random Rab - "Clarification of Meaning From a Rose" 2009
- STS9 - Hidden Hand, Hidden Fist from Peaceblaster The New Orleans Make it Right Remixes 2009
- Seventhswami -"Escape Artist" from Here For Now 2009
- On The One - "Love Addiction" (remix) from Love Addiction 2008
- "Shine" from The New Kong 2008
- Breakbeatbuddah - "Mind Check" from Mind Bombin 2007
- Lynx - "Just One Step" from Grain Of Sand 2007
- Bassnectar - Amorphous Form from Underground Communication 2005
- Us Weekly Staff (June 8, 2010). "Who Is Alanis Morissette's New Husband, Mario "MC Souleye" Treadway?". US Magazine. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Thomas, Devon (June 9, 2010). "Five Things You Oughta Know About Souleye". CBS News. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Souleye Discography". Allmusic. Allmusic. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- DX Staff (September 21, 2017). "Rapper Souleye Drops "Wildman" Album". HipHopDX. Retrieved 10 September 2017.
- Selah, Makkadah (February 24, 2005). "Medicine Man". New Times. Broward/Palm Beach, Florida. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
Treadway was born in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, the son of an Italian mother and a father who's part Native American. ... He continued his love affair with hip-hop through high school, graduating in 1999 and earning a basketball scholarship to Western New England College. But after a year ... he left school and hit the road....
- "Intergalactic Vibes at All Music". All Music. All Music. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "(Video) Souleye and Michael Franti Performing on JamCruise". YouTube. Rolling Wheel. Missing or empty
- "Listen to Bassnectar - Amorphous Form - Feat E Note & Souleye". The Music Hutch. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Mendick, Jonathan (July 23, 2009). "BLVD bring 'dance party' to Beatnik". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Pajer, Nicole (October 17, 2012). "Alanis Morissette Takes Rap, Works With Husband Souleye". Billboard. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Jamm, Rick (June 3, 2015). "Souleye: "Identified Time"". Jamsphere. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- "Souleye Drops A Visual For 'Snow Angel' Featuring Alanis Morisette".
- "Pioneering a New Way: Rapper Souleye on Art & Commerce". HuffPost. January 31, 2017.
- Laudadio, Marisa (June 7, 2010). "Alanis Morissette Marries in Intimate Ceremony at Home". People. Retrieved October 7, 2019.
- Hammel, Sarah (December 27, 2010). "Alanis Morissette Is a Mom!". People. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Juneau, Jen; Nelson, Jeff (July 8, 2016). "Alanis Morissette Welcomes Daughter Onyx Solace".
- Pasquini, Maria (August 12, 2019). "'He's Here!' Alanis Morissette Welcomes Son Winter Mercy — See His First Photo". People.