|Cover artist||Design: Kate Florance. Cover image shows: William Zappa as Danny and Jacki Weaver as Heather in the 2002 Sydney Theatre Company production of Soulmates. Photo: Tracey Schramm.|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
Among the people satired are a critic, which was seen as a reflection of Williamson's battles with the critics over a long period of time.
Williamson later said he was "surprised that no one picked up Soulmates" for a film. "It worked very well with audiences on stage and is a classic revenge story."
Set in Melbourne and New York, this is a tale of revenge as the best-selling expatriate author Katie Best engineers a scheme to bring her most craven critic Danny O'Loughlin undone.
Soulmates was first produced by Sydney Theatre Company, at the Drama Theatre, Sydney Opera House, on 13 April 2002 with the following cast:
HEATHER: Jacki Weaver
DANNY: William Zappa
KATIE: Amanda Muggleton
GORDON: Barry Quin
FIONA: Deborah Kennedy
GREG: Jonathan Biggins
MAX: Sean Taylor
Director, Gale Edwards
Set Designer, Brian Thomson
Lighting Designer, John Rayment
Sound Design, Paul Charlier
Assistant Director, Annabel Scholes
- Williamson, David (2003). Birthrights / Soulmates. Sydney: Currency Press. ISBN 9780868196985.
- Review of 2002 production in Sydney Morning Herald accessed 29 November 2012
- Robin Usher, "An eye on the critics:, Sydney Morning Herald, 10 July 2002 accessed 29 November 2012
- Greg Gallaghan, "10 questions - David Williamson", The Australian 18 December 2010 accessed 5 April 2014
- http://www.ausstage.edu.au/pages/event/19503 "Review: ‘Soulmates’"]. Variety, Michaela Boland, May 4, 2002