Soumitra Dutta: Founding Dean of Cornell SC Johnson College of Business at Cornell University 
27 August 1963 |
|Education||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (B.Tech.)
University of California, Berkeley (M.S., Ph.D.)
|Occupation||Founding Dean of Cornell SC Johnson College of Business at Cornell University (effective 1 July 2016) |
Soumitra Dutta (born 27 August 1963) is an author, academic, businessman and served as the founding Dean of the SC Johnson College of Business at Cornell University from 1 July 2016, until his resignation on 30 January 2018. From July 2012 until June 2016, he was the Anne and Elmer Lindseth Dean of the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management. Before his appointment to Cornell University, Dutta was the Roland Berger Chaired Professor of Business and Technology and Professor of Business and Technology at INSEAD.
Dutta was born in Chandigarh in 1963. He was the founding Dean of the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business  at Cornell University, New York, until his resignation in January 2018. Before his current role he became the eleventh dean of the Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University. He previously served as the Roland Berger Chaired Professor of Business and Technology, founder and academic director of the eLab at INSEAD, a top-ranked graduate business school in Fontainebleau, France.
Previous roles Dutta has held during his 22-year tenure at INSEAD include dean of external relations; dean of executive education; and dean of technology and e-learning. He has served as a visiting professor in the Haas School of Business at Berkeley, Oxford Internet Institute at University of Oxford, and Judge School at University of Cambridge in England. He has lived and worked in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, including stints as an engineer with GE in the U.S. and Schlumberger in Japan.
Dutta is an authority on the impact of new technology on the business world, especially social media and social networking, and on strategies for driving growth and innovation by embracing the digital economy. He is the co-editor and author respectively of two influential reports in technology and innovation the Global Information Technology Report (co-published with the World Economic Forum) and the Global Innovation Index  (co-published with the World Intellectual Property Organization). Both reports have been used by several governments around the world in assessing and planning their technology and innovation policies.
Dutta's work has been widely published in both academic and management journals, including Global Intelligence for the CIO, Information Week, Brasil, BusinessWorld India, Chief Executive, Finance & Management, Chief Executive Magazine, Forbes, and The McKinsey Quarterly. He received the European Case of the Year  from the European Case Clearing House in 2002, 2000, 1998, and 1997.
Dutta received a B.Tech. in electrical engineering and computer science from the Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi. He received an MS in business administration, an MS in computer science, and a PhD in computer science from the University of California at Berkeley.
Professor Dutta has authored and co-authored several books, including the most recent,[when?] "Ask, Measure, Learn: Using social media analytics to understand and influence customer behavior", which distills experience from the real world of applying big data techniques to social media to provide valuable insights for executives. His previous book, "Throwing Sheep in the Boardroom: How Online Social Networking Will Transform Your Life, Work and World" (Fraser & Dutta 2008) investigated the implications of social network services for the enterprise which he co-authored with Matthew Fraser. Another of his recent books was more centered on leadership development, titled “Innovating at the Top: How Global CEOs Drive Innovation for Growth and Profit” (Berger et al. 2008) which was co-authored with Roland Berger, Geoffrey Samuels and Tobias Raffel.
In addition, every year Dutta co-authors "The Global Information Technology Report" published by the World Economic Forum, and the "Global Innovation Index" published by the World Intellectual Property Organization.
- Lanvin, Bruno; Dutta, Soumitra; Wunsch-Vincent, Sacha (2016). Global Innovation Index 2016: Winning with Global Innovation. Cornell University, INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
- Baller, Silja; Lanvin, Bruno; Dutta, Soumitra (2016). Innovating in the Digital Economy (PDF). World Economic Forum.
- Finger, Lutz; Dutta, Soumitra (2014). Ask, Measure, Learn: Using Social Media Analytics to understand and influence customer behavior. O’Reilly. ISBN 1449336752.
- Fraser, Matthew; Dutta, Soumitra (2008). Throwing Sheep in the Boardroom: How Online Social Networking Will Transform Your Life, Work and World. Wiley. ISBN 978-0-470-74014-9.
- Berger, Roland; Dutta, Soumitra; Raffel, Tobias; Samuels, Geoffrey (2008). Innovating at the Top: How Global CEOs Drive Innovation for Growth and Profit. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-0-230-57573-8.
- West, Melanie Grayce; Korn, Melissa (28 January 2017). "SC Johnson CEO Gives $150 Million to Cornell's Business College". Wsj.com. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- West, Melanie Grayce; Korn, Melissa (28 January 2017). "SC Johnson CEO Gives $150 Million to Cornell's Business College". Wsj.com. Retrieved 30 July 2017 – via www.wsj.com.
- [dead link]
- Byrne, John A. (7 September 2016). "The Birth of Cornell's College of Business". Poetsandquants.com. Retrieved 30 July 2017.
- Anbinder, Mark H. (30 January 2018). "Cornell provost accepts resignation of Soumitra Dutta, first Dean of College of Business". 14850 Magazine. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "The Global Information Technology Report 2014" (PDF). 3.weforum.org. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "The Global Innovation Index 2015" (PDF). Globalinnovationindex.org. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- PULAKKAT, HARI (25 August 2016). "A look at India's 15-place jump in Global Innovation Index". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 30 July 2017 – via The Economic Times.
- "Soumitra Dutta | London Speaker Bureau". London Speaker Bureau. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- Stein, David (2011-02-02). "Dear CEO: They're Just Not That Into You". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "Soumitra Dutta". Fundacionbankinter.org. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- Finger, Lutz; Dutta, Soumitra (9 February 2014). "Ask, Measure, Learn: Using Social Media Analytics to Understand and Influence Customer Behavior". O'Reilly Media. Retrieved 30 July 2017 – via Amazon.
- "Global Innovation Index | Innovation Feeding the World". Global Innovation Index. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization". Wipo.int. Retrieved 2017-07-14.