|Industry||Speech Recognition / Mobile Technology|
|Headquarters||Santa Clara, CA, United States|
|Products||SoundHound, Hound, Houndify|
Number of employees
SoundHound Inc., founded in 2005, is an audio recognition and cognition company. It develops sound-recognition and sound-search technologies. Its feature product is a music recognition mobile app called SoundHound. In 2015, it released two new products, a voice-recognition virtual assistant mobile app called Hound and a voice-enabled developer platform called Houndify. The company’s headquarters are in Santa Clara, California.
The company was founded in 2005 by Keyvan Mohajer, a Ph.D. candidate at Stanford studying vocal recognition. In 2009, the company's Midomi app was rebranded as SoundHound. In 2012, SoundHound announced it had over 100 million users globally. In 2014, SoundHound became the first music-search product available as a wearable. Later, SoundHound became the first music recognition service shipping in autos, in a partnership with Hyundai, in the new 2015 Genesis. By June 2015, SoundHound had over 260 million users globally.
The company secured $7 million in a Series B funding round in October 2008, bringing total funds raised to $12 million. The round was led by TransLink Capital with the participation of JAIC America and Series A investor Global Catalyst Partners.
In 2009, it attracted additional funding from Larry Marcus at Walden Venture Capital, who had previously invested in music startups Pandora and Snocap. The $4 million funding round was led by Walden Venture Capital VII, with the participation of an unnamed device manufacturer.
Companies in the same field
- ACRCloud (Audio fingerprinting, Humming recognition)
- Gracenote (Audio fingerprinting, Music recommendation)
- Shazam (Audio fingerprinting)
- May, Patrick (3 June 2013). "Siri's got nothing on SoundHound's new app". The Mercury News. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Rollison, Damian (27 January 2010). "Tune identifier SoundHound announces new version with Pandora, tour dates". Venturebeat. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- "SCREENVISION ACTIVATES SOUNDHOUND PARTNERSHIP TO CONNECT MOBILE MOVIEGOERS TO BIG SCREEN ADS | Screenvision". www.screenvision.com. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- "SoundHound First Music Discovery Service to Be Live on Wearables | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- "Hyundai and Kia tap SoundHound to help you identify music in your car". Engadget. Retrieved 2015-06-05.
- della Cava, Marco (2 June 2015). "Hound styles itself as Siri or Cortana with a PhD". USA Today. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Winkler, Rolf (2 June 2015). "SoundHound App Emerges to Take On Apple and Google in Voice Search". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 1 March 2016.
- Wauters, Robin (25 August 2011). "Music Search Startup SoundHound Partners With Spotify For Instant Streaming". TechCrunch. Retrieved 1 March 2016.