From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up sounding in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Sounding generally refers to a mechanism of probing the environment by sending out some kind of stimulus.
Sounding or soundings may refer to:
- Soundings (journal), an academic journal of leftist political thinking
- "Soundings" (radio drama), science fiction radio drama series produced from 1985 to 1989 in Ottawa
- Whale sounding, the act of diving by whales
Medicine and surgery
- Sound (medical instrument), instruments for probing and dilating passages within the body
- Urethral sounding, using sounds to increase the inner diameter of the urethra
Science and technology
- Depth sounding, a measurement of depth within a body of water
- Atmospheric sounding, a measurement of vertical distribution of physical properties of the atmospheric column
- Vertical electrical sounding (VES), a geophysical method for investigation of a geological medium
- Cone penetration test, a method used to determine the geotechnical engineering properties of soils
- Sounding rocket, an instrument-carrying rocket designed to take measurements and perform scientific experiments during sub-orbital flight
- Ionospheric sounding, analysis of ionospheric-dependent radio propagation using a synchronized transmitter and receiver
- Automatic sounding, the testing of selected channels for quality by providing a very brief identifying transmission
- Automatic link establishment, the worldwide de facto standard for digitally initiating and sustaining HF radio communications
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Sounding.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.