Sounds Like Teen Spirit
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Sounds Like Teen Spirit|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jamie Jay Johnson|
|Produced by||Simon Fawcett, Maxyne Franklin, Jess Search, Paul White|
|Starring||Marina Baltadzi, Yiorgos Ioannides, Mariam Romelashvili, Mirek Coutigny, Laurens Platteeuw, Matthieu Renier, Eva Storme, Babs Buelens|
|Music by||Mat Davidson|
|Edited by||Lucien Clayton|
|Distributed by||Warner Music|
|Language||English, Bulgarian, Dutch, Georgian, Greek|
Sounds Like Teen Spirit (also known as Sounds Like Teen Spirit: A Popumentary) is a 2008 documentary and debut feature film of Bafta-Award nominated director Jamie Jay Johnson. It follows the lives of the participants of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2007, specifically the entrants from Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus and Georgia. The film sees them proceed from the national finals that saw them crowned the representatives of their country through to the international song festival itself held in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, where they each compete against 16 other acts.
The film was exceptionally well received by critics receiving an 87% 'fresh' rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Director Johnson was praised for his 'crowdpleasing' debut and his success in getting the participants to 'open-up' on camera.
In the 2009 Dinard British Film Festival in Brittany, France 'Sounds Like Teen Spirit' played in competition and won the prestigious 'Hitchcock D’Argent' Audience Award.
In the Seattle International film festival 2009 the film won a Special Jury Award and was highly commended by the jury "for excellence in capturing the universal experience of young adults discovering their place in the world".
Sounds Like Teen Spirit is also nominated for a British Independent Film Award in the 'Best Documentary' category. 
- "'Sounds Like Teen Spirit (12A)'". Total Film. 21 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- "'Jamie Jay Johnson on Sounds Like Teen Spirit'". BBC. 8 May 2009. Archived from the original on 31 May 2009. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "'Sounds Like Teen Spirit (2009)'". Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on 27 September 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Robey, Tim (7 May 2009). "'Sounds Like Teen Spirit review'". London: The Telegraph. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- "' Murphy's White Lightnin' and Johnson's Teen Spirit scoop Dinard prizes'". Screen daily. 12 Oct 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- "'Sounds Like Teen Spirit: A Popumentary'". Seattle International Film Festival. 7 June 2009. Archived from the original on 17 February 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "'NOMINATIONS AND JURY ANNOUNCED FOR THE 12TH BRITISH INDEPENDENT FILM AWARDS'". British Independent Film Awards. 26 Oct 2009. Archived from the original on 9 August 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2017.