|Headquarters||Louisville, Colorado, U.S.|
Sounds True is a multimedia publishing company founded in 1985 by Tami Simon, with the mission of disseminating spiritual wisdom. The company is based in Louisville, Colorado, near Boulder, Colorado. The company publishes over 800 spoken-word audio and music recordings, books, multimedia learning resources, and online educational programs from those prominent in the fields of spirituality, psychology, health, and healing, including NY-Times bestselling authors Eckhart Tolle, Pema Chödrön, Geneen Roth, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Andrew Weil, Brené Brown, and Caroline Myss. The company organizes and hosts an annual event, dedicated to personal growth and spiritual transformation, called The Wake Up Festival, in August of each year, in Estes Park, Colorado.
The company was started in 1985 by Tami Simon, with a tape recorder and a small studio in Boulder, Colorado. Sounds True has released spoken word recordings of original works by writers and lecturers Andrew Weil, Pema Chödrön, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Jack Kornfield, Clarissa Pinkola Estés, Eckhart Tolle, A. H. Almaas, Reginald Ray, Tsultrim Allione, Margot Anand, Coleman Barks, Stephen Batchelor, Tara Brach, the Dalai Lama, Michael Lerner, Deepak Chopra, Lama Surya Das, Ram Dass, Georg Feuerstein, Matthew Fox, Joseph Goldstein, Daniel Goleman, Stanislav Grof and Caroline Myss. In 1990, their release of Clarissa Pinkola Estés' Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype audiotape led to the Ballantine Books publication of her book by the same name. Andrew Weil's Breathing: The Master Key to Self Healing is one of their best selling CDs. Martha Beck's CD Follow Your North Star was released by Sounds True.
Sounds True produces music CDs and digital music files of spiritual and meditative music. Artists include Krishna Das, Jai Uttal, Nawang Khechog, Shri Anandi Ma, Savina Yannatou, Alessandra Belloni, Marjorie de Muynck, and El-Funoun. Sounds True albums have been featured on National Public Radio. In 2010, Sounds True entered a licensing partnership with The Relaxation Company. Sounds True began distributing and marketing The Relaxation Company's products as of April 1, 2010.
- Contact us
- Simon biographical sketch
- "A Closer Look at a Business Renaissance Executive: An Interview with Tami Simon", Business Renaissance Quarterly, spring 2008
- Company information at the Sounds True website
- A Pilgrim Christian at The Wake Up Festival
- "Benchmark: When Voice Mail Answers the Phones", Inc., June 1, 1995
- "Colorado Women Make Mark in INC.: Nine State Companies on Magazine's List of Fastest Growing Companies", Rocky Mountain News, Oct. 12, 1995
- "Spiritual Quest Inspires Creation of a Sound Business: Boulder Company's Tape Catalog Reads Like 'Who's Who' For New Age", Rocky Mountain News, Nov. 20, 1994
- "Sounds True". Northwest Columbus News. Apr 16, 2003.
- Myss biography at Simon & Schuster website
- "About Us" page, Sounds True website
- Hamza El Din's A Wish at NPR website