This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type of business||Privately held company|
|Founder(s)||Christopher Clay, Lukas Fittl, Andreas Fuchs|
|Alexa rank||3,698 (March 2015[update])|
|Current status||Shut down on 20 July 2020|
Soup.io allowed the user to publish (editable in HTML) text, images, videos, links, quotes and reviews. It allowed users to share files (within the limit of 10 MB) and create events. Its interface professes to follow the KISS principle. In March 2015, Soup.io had close to 3.8 million monthly users.
In January 2017, Soup.io suffered data loss, and had to be restored over several weeks from a 2015 backup. After that the ownership was transferred to its webhost who will continue running it out of personal interest of the company's CEO.
On 10 July 2020, a shutdown warning was sent to all users with less than 10 days' notice, citing "high costs and low revenue streams". The shutdown date is 20 July 2020.
- Aggregation in real time data from issues of social networks, blogs and RSS.
- Auto-posting data from other social networks (including Digg, Flickr, Delicious, YouTube, Twitter, or even Tumblr)
- Infinite scrolling of content
- Re-posting of content from other blogs on the service, after the manner of Tumblr
- Videos channels
- Code custom CSS
- Integration of domain names
- Semi-private access to a blog
Soup.io received an investment during Seedcamp 2008, has been classified by the Guardian as one of the essential 100 websites of 2009, and was named "Innovative IT-Challenger" by APA – IT in September 2009.
Notes and references
- "Soup.io Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Update after crash ;)". 13 February 2017.
- Clay, Christoper (1 February 2017). "I've heard that @soup_io will be coming back online in the next days; but likely with some significant data loss after hardware failure #fyi".
- Scott, Jason (10 July 2020). "If you shut down with 10 days warning..."
- Seedcamp 2008 Archived 10 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- The 100 essential websites – The Guardian
- Innovative http://www.ots.at/presseaussendung/OBS_20090918_OBS0011 "IT-Challenger" von – APA – IT ausgezeichnet – ANHÄNGE – APA