Soup for One (film)
|Soup for One|
|Directed by||Jonathan Kaufer|
|Produced by||Marvin Worth|
|Written by||Jonathan Kaufer|
Lewis J. Stadlen
|Music by||Nile Rodgers
|Edited by||David Rawlins|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Soup For One is a 1982 sexually themed romantic comedy that was directed and written by Jonathan Kaufer and produced by Marvin Worth. The R-rated film was released by Warner Bros. Pictures. Its tagline is "When you're looking for love, you find yourself doing some very funny things."
While the film was not a box office success, mostly due to mixed reviews and the over the top sex scenes (including one involving S/M), it is best remembered for its soundtrack, which was produced by Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards of the group Chic, who performed the title track.
Allan, a cable television producer in New York City, is determined to find the perfect woman, and he would even go so far as having a description of what she would look like done on an artist sketch. But before he can encounter the girl of his dreams he finds himself encountering a series of disastrous dating roadblocks. He finally meets Maria, who seems to be his perfect woman, and tries to make the relationship work.
In addition to "Soup for One" (Pop #80, R&B #14), Chic also performed and produced four other cuts from the soundtrack: "Open Up," "Tavern on the Green," "I Work for a Living," and "Riding". "I Want Your Love" (Pop #7, R&B #5) which is also included, was a 1979 recording. Rodgers and Edwards also wrote and produced three songs for the film, one by Teddy Pendergrass ("Dream Girl"; he performs this in a cameo as a night club singer), another by Sister Sledge ("Let's Go on Vacation") and one for Carly Simon ("Why") (UK #10). Debbie Harry contributed a song to the soundtrack as well, called "Jump Jump." The album, released on WEA/Mirage Records, remains unreleased on compact disc.
- In addition to Pendergrass, another singer, Suzzy Roche of The Roches, also has a cameo.
- The 2000 hit by Modjo, "Lady (Hear Me Tonight)", samples Chic's "Soup For One."
- Carly Simon's "Why" would end up becoming an underground club classic as well as a major hit in Europe.
- In 1990, A Tribe Called Quest sampled the whole instrumental version of "Why" for a remix of their hit "Bonita Applebum".
- Writer/director Jonathan Kaufer was later briefly married to starlet Pia Zadora with whom he fathered a child.
- Saul Rubinek as Allan Martin
- Marcia Strassman as Maria Giannini
- Gerrit Graham as Brian Reed
- Teddy Pendergrass as Night Club Singer
- Richard Libertini as Angelo Giannini
- Andrea Martin as Concord Seductress
- Mordecai Lawner as Furniture Salesman
- Lewis J. Stadlen as Allan's Father
- Joanna Merlin as Allan's Mother
- Christine Baranski as Blonde in Bar
- Ellen March as Blind Date
- Maury Chaykin as Dr. Wexler
- Deborah Offner as Girl in Neon Bedroom
- Michael Jeter as Mr. Kelp
- Anna Deavere Smith as Deborah
- Laura Dean as Linda
- Marley Friedman as Zak
- Andrew Friedman as Zak
- Jessica James as Miss Farr
- Kate Lynch as WPCP Receptionist
- Suzzy Roche as Girl #1
- Claudia Cron as Girl #2
- Cheri Jamison as Girl #3
- Hilary Shepard as Girl #4
- Libby Boone as Girl #5
- Catherine Lee Smith as Girl #6
- Marisa Smith as Concord Dental Assistant
- Jaime Tirelli as WPCP Announcer
- Cristina San Juan as WPCP Weathergirl
- James Rebhorn as Lawyer
- Ron Faber as Man with Video Tapes
- Gloria Cromwell as Mrs. Franken
- Thomas Quinn as Police Officer
- Rick Lieberman as Sketch Artist
- Ellie Covan as Concord Registration Woman
- Bo Rucker as Man in Washington Sq. Park
- Jack Chandler as Stoned Cameraman
- Michael Pearlman as Young Allan
- Lauren Sautner as Young Rhonda
- Karen Werner as Receptionist
- Maggie Wheeler as Nurse
- Max Gulak as Italian Waiter
- William Cuellar as Chief Running Brook
- Mitchell Jason as Judge
- Sherrie Bender as Topless Girl at Door
- Kim Chan as Harold the Cook
- Linda Ray as Sally in Pool
- Lisa Parker as A Girl in Pool
- Merwin Goldsmith as Mr. Blum
- Olivia K. Le'Aauanae as Fire Knife Dancer
- Victor Truro as Man at Cellmates
- Anthony Cesare as Man at River Cafe
- Marvin Beck as Wedding Guest (uncredited)
- Jennifer Delora as Girl at Bar (uncredited)