Sour Patch Kids
Sour Patch Kids (Known as Very ugly Kids in France, and as Maynards Sour Patch Kids in the UK) are a soft candy with a coating of invert sugar and sour sugar (a combination of citric acid, tartaric acid and sugar). Its slogan, "Sour. Sweet. Gone.", refers to the sour-to-sweet taste of the candy.
Sour Patch Kids were originally created by Frank Galitollie of Jaret International, under the name of Mars Men. In the late 1970s Cadbury and the Malaco Licorice Company of Sweden formed the Allen Candy Company in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, in order to produce them. In 1985, they were renamed to Sour Patch Kids, likely to capitalize on the popularity of Cabbage Patch Kids.
Flavors and colors
- Sour Patch Kids – The original line of Sour Patch Kids, Lime (green), Lemon (yellow), Orange (orange), and Cherry (red); and starting in 2014, Raspberry (Blue). The UK version initially included lime, lemon, orange and raspberry, but later included blackcurrant.
- UK Sour Patch Kids - This is a gummy candy instead of a jelly candy. Also there is blackcurrant flavor.
- Sour Patch Exploders – Similar appearance to original Sour Patch Kids, with a soft interior. Raspberry Lemonade Rush (Pink), Grape Berry Surge (Purple), Cherry Berry Bash (Red), Apple Strawberry Burst (Green).
- Sour Patch Kids Extreme – Similar to original Sour Patch Kids, but dusted in an extra sour coating, Strawberry (pink), Orange (orange), Pear (green), and Blue Raspberry (blue).
- Sour Patch Fruits – The same texture of original Sour Patch Kids, but shaped as a variety of fruits rather than kids, Watermelon (Pink), Orange (Orange), Lemon (Yellow), Lime (Green), Grape (Purple), Cherry (Red).
- Sour Patch Kids gum - Made by Stride. In 2014, Sour Patch Kids Raspberry flavored gum was made by Stride. Later that year the flavors changed to Redberry, Orange, and Lime.
- Sour Patch Watermelon gum - Made by Stride in 2015.
- Sour Patch Kids Extreme gum - Made by Stride. Available in Blue Raspberry flavor
- Sour Patch Kids Berries – are the same shape as the original Sour Patch Kids, but come in berry flavors, Blue Raspberry (blue), Grape (purple), Cherry (red), and Strawberry (pink).
- Sour Patch Kids Tropical - Introduced in 2017, these are the same shape as the original Sour Patch Kids, but come in tropical flavors Passion Fruit (purple), Tropical Twist (orange), Pineapple (white), and Paradise Punch (pink).
- Sour Patch Kids Tricksters - A mix of Sour Patch Kids where the colors don't match the flavors. For example, a blue one might taste like a red one, or an orange one might taste like a blue one.
- Sour Patch Kids Fire - Coming in 2018, these are the same shape as the original Sour Patch Kids, but with a kick of heat in the aftertaste. Fruit variety mix of red, orange, green, and purple.
- Sour Patch Kids Freeze - Also coming in 2018, these are the same shape as the original Sour Patch Kids, but with a surge of cooling, just like the discontinued Sour Patch Kids Chillers. Lemonade variety mix of pink, yellow, green, and blue.
- Sour Patch Christmas Kids – a mix of Cherry (red) and Lime (green) Sour Patch Kids.
- Sour Patch Chillers – similar to original Sour Patch Kids, with menthol, Berry Punch Chiller (Blue), Frozen Lemonade (Yellow), Strawberry Shiver (Red), Frosty Grape (Purple).
- Sour Patch Apple
- Sour Patch Cherry
- Sour Patch Peach
- Sour Patch Watermelon
- Sour Patch Blue Raspberry
- Sour Patch Sour Apple
- Sour Patch Strawberry
- Sour Patch Bunnies – shaped as rabbits for Easter in pastel colors, with a slightly different taste, Lime (Pastel Green), Lemon (Pastel Yellow), Orange (Pastel Orange), Raspberry (Pastel Red/Pink).
- Sour Patch Kids Soda Pops – A variant of the candy with soda pop-based flavors, Orangeade (orange), Cola (brown), Cherryade (red), Tropical (pink), Apple Fizz (green), available in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
- Zombie Sour Patch Kids – Halloween-themed: Rattling Raspberry (purple) and Ominous Orange (orange) flavors.
- Big Sour Patch Kids – Individually wrapped, larger sized Sour Patch Kids 0.19oz (5.5g)
- Sour Patch Kids Heads & Bodies – Halloween themed Sour Patch Kids, available in the UK only.
- Sour Patch Lollipops
- Sour Patch Jelly Beans – Easter themed jelly beans coated in sour sugar. Same flavors as the original Sour Patch Kids.
- Sour Patch Line Ups – String of Sour Patch Kids stuck together. (Called 'Linkz' in Canada)
- Sour Patch Kids Popsicles - Originally came in Lime, Raspberry, and Orange flavors. Later in 2014, Orange was replaced by Blue Raspberry.
- Sour Patch Peach
- Sour Patch Pineapple
- Sour Patch Strawberry Banana
- Sour Patch Grape
- Sour Patch Starfruit
- Sour Patch Plum
Main article : World Gone Sour World Gone Sour is a 2011 video game based on Sour Patch Kids. It was developed by Playbrains and published by Capcom. It was released on December 20, 2011 for PC, April 10, 2012 for PlayStation Network (PSN), and April 11, 2012 for Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA). Sour Patch kids make special flavors for different holidays.
- "Home | Sour Patch Kids - Sour. Sweet. Gone". Sour. Sweet. Gone. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "9 Sweet Facts for Sour Patch Kids Day". Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- Sour Patch Kids at snackmemory.com
- "Sour Patch Kids' New Packaging! Plus a little history…". 4 December 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Sour Patch Xploderz". ZOMG, Candy!. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Sour Patch Extreme - Candy Blog". Typetive.com. 2007-11-08. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Instagram". Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "Instagram". Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- "Sour Patch Chillerz - Candy Blog". Typetive.com. 2009-08-06. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "An Easter Dash - Reviews in Short". Candy Blog. 2010-04-02. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Facebook". Retrieved 20 October 2016.