Sour Patch Kids
Sour Patch Kids are a soft candy with a coating of invert sugar and sour sugar (a combination of citric acid, tartaric acid and sugar). Its slogan, "Sour. Sweet. Gone.", refers to the sour-to-sweet taste of the candy.
Sour Patch Kids were originally created by Frank Galatolie of Jaret International, under the name of Sour Group Kids. In the late 1970s the Mondelez international and the Malaco Licorice Company of Sweden formed the M & A Candy Company in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, in order to produce them. In the 1970s the candy was renamed Mars Men, and by 1985 they were renamed to Sour Patch Kids to capitalize on the popularity of Cabbage Patch Kids.
In late 1995, the candy made its debut in the United Artists theater in Columbia, Maryland. According to the manager in that location, Greg Lowery, the candy has been a big seller ever since and the theater will be renewing its contract with Cadbury Adams this fall.
In 2013 the Blue Raspberry flavor was added.
Flavors and colors
- Sour Patch Kids – The original line of Sour Patch Kids, Lime (green), Lemon (yellow), Orange (orange), and Raspberry (red); and later Blue Raspberry (Blue). The UK version initially included lime, lemon, orange and raspberry, but later included blackcurrant.
- Sour Patch Exploders - Similar appearance to original Sour Patch Kids, with a soft interior. Raspberry Lemonade Rush (Pink), Grape Berry Surge (Purple), Cherry Berry Bash (Red), Apple Strawberry Burst (Green)
- Sour Patch Extreme - Similar to original Sour Patch Kids, but dusted in an extra sour coating, Strawberry (pink), Orange (orange), Pear(green), and Blue Raspberry (blue)
- Sour Patch Fruits - The same texture of original Sour Patch Kids, but shaped as a variety of fruits rather than kids, Watermelon (Pink), Orange (Orange), Lemon (Yellow), Lime (Green), Grape (Purple), Cherry (Red)
- Sour Patch Kids Berries - are the same shape as the original Sour Patch Kids, but come in berry flavors, Blue Raspberry (blue), Grape (purple), Cherry (red), and Strawberry (pink)
- Sour Patch Christmas Kids - a mix of Cherry (red) and Lime (green) Sour Patch Kids
- Sour Patch Chillers - similar to original Sour Patch Kids, with menthol, Berry Punch Chiller (Blue), Frozen Lemonade (Yellow), Strawberry Shiver (Red), Frosty Grape (Purple)
- Sour Patch Apple
- Sour Patch Watermelon
- Sour Patch Blue Raspberry
- Sour Patch Sour Apple
- Sour Patch Strawberry
- Sour Patch Bunnies - shaped as rabbits for Easter in pastel colors, with a slightly different taste, Lime (Pastel Green), Lemon (Pastel Yellow), Orange (Pastel Orange), Raspberry (Pastel Red/Pink)
- Sour Patch Kids Soda Pops - A variant of the candy with soda pop-based flavors, Orangeade (orange), Cola (brown), Cherryade (red), Tropical (pink), Apple Fizz (green), available in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
- Zombie Sour Patch Kids - Halloween-themed: Rattling Raspberry (purple) and Ominous Orange (orange) flavors.
- Sour Patch Kids Heads & Bodies - Halloween themed Sour Patch Kids, available in the UK only.
- Sour Patch Lollipops
- Sour Patch Jelly Beans - Easter themed jelly beans coated in sour sugar. Same flavors as the original Sour Patch Kids.
- Sour Patch Zombie Kids - This pack consists of the purple colored candy originally found in the normal Sour Patch Kids pack.
- Sour Patch Line Ups - String of Sour Patch Kids stuck together.
- Sour Patch Peach
- Sour Patch Pineapple
- "Home | Sour Patch Kids - Sour. Sweet. Gone". Sour. Sweet. Gone. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "9 Sweet Facts for Sour Patch Kids Day". Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- Sour Patch Kids at snackmemory.com
- "Sour Patch Kids' New Packaging! Plus a little history…". 4 December 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2016.
- "Sour Patch Xploderz". ZOMG, Candy!. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Sour Patch Extreme - Candy Blog". Typetive.com. 2007-11-08. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Sour Patch Chillerz - Candy Blog". Typetive.com. 2009-08-06. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "An Easter Dash - Reviews in Short". Candy Blog. 2010-04-02. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Facebook". Retrieved 20 October 2016.