Source Sans Pro
|Classification||Grotesque sans-serif, Humanist sans-serif|
|Designer(s)||Paul D. Hunt|
|License||SIL Open Font License|
|Design based on||Franklin Gothic|
|Latest release version||v3.006|
|Latest release date||September 5, 2019|
The typeface is inspired by the forms of the American Type Founders' gothics by Morris Fuller Benton, such as News Gothic, Lightline Gothic and Franklin Gothic, modified with both a larger x-height and character width and more humanist-influenced italic forms. It is available in six weights (Regular, ExtraLight, Light, Semibold, Bold, Black) in upright and italic styles, and is also available as a variable font with continuous weight values from 200 to 900. The typeface has wide language support for Latin script, including Western and Eastern European languages, Vietnamese, pinyin Romanization of Chinese, and Navajo. Adobe's training material highlights it as having a more consistent colour on the page than the rather condensed News Gothic it is based on.
- Benton Sans – another commercial Benton revival, optimised for various weights, widths and optical masters for various sizes of text
- Trade Gothic – Linotype's competing design
Adobe's open source family
- Source Code Pro, the second member of Adobe's open source family.
- Source Serif Pro, the third member of Adobe's open source family.
- Source Han Sans, the fourth member of Adobe's open source family and the first to include CJK characters.
- Source Han Serif, the last member of Adobe's open source family and includes CJK characters.
- "Sans serif font family for user interface environments: adobe-fonts/source-sans-pro". Adobe Fonts. 20 September 2019.
- Paul, Ryan (3 August 2012). "Adobe releases Source Sans Pro, a new open source font". Ars Technica. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
- Hunt, Paul D. (2 August 2012). "Source Sans Pro: Adobe's first open source type family". Adobe Typekit Blog. Adobe Systems Incorporated. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Gilbertson, Scott (3 August 2012). "Source Sans Pro: Adobe's First Open Source Type Family". Webmonkey. Wired. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Rugen, Chris. "Source Sans review". Typographica. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Variable Fonts — Source Sans Variable".
- "Source Sans Pro: Adobe's first open source type family". TypeKit. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Brown, Tim. "Selecting Typefaces for Body Text". Typekit Practice. Adobe Systems. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
Source Sans has an obviousness and toughness similar to News Gothic, but with a much more even color. Its letterforms are wider and more widely spaced, more modest than monumental, which makes sense in a body text setting....News Gothic is not a good choice of body text typeface. Certain letter combinations are very dense, and the overall color is not even.
Media related to Source Sans Pro at Wikimedia Commons