National Treasury (South Africa)
National Treasury head office in Pretoria
|Formed||31 May 1910|
|Jurisdiction||Government of South Africa|
|Headquarters||Old Reserve Bank Building, 40 Church Square, Pretoria
|Annual budget||R1,504.4 million (2010/11)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The National Treasury is one of the departments of the South African government. The Treasury manages national economic policy, prepares the South African government's annual budget and manages the government's finances. Along with the South African Revenue Service and Statistics South Africa, the Treasury falls within the portfolio of the Minister of Finance. Throughout the course of President Jacob Zuma's second administration, the ministry has undergone several changes. Most notably, Nhlanhla Nene was suddenly dismissed on 9 December 2015, without explanation, and replaced with a relatively unknown parliamentary back-bencher from the ruling ANC's caucus, David 'Des' van Rooyen for a record-total of 3 days. He was, in turn, replaced by Pravin Gordhan after the President faced significant pressure from political and business groups over the move. The current Finance Minister, Malusi Gigaba was appointed after a fiercely opposed — but unsurprising — cabinet reshuffle on 30 March 2017.
- "Nhlanhla Nene removed as finance minister". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Pravin Gordhan announced as new Minister of Finance". eNCA. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Zuma Fires Gordhan, Jonas, Hanekom, Peters & Ramatlhodi". Eyewitness News. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Vote 9: National Treasury" (PDF). Estimates of National Expenditure 2010. Pretoria: National Treasury. 17 February 2010. ISBN 978-0-621-39079-7. Retrieved 30 August 2010.
- "Responsibility for SAA transferred across to Minister of Finance - Treasury - POLITICS | Politicsweb". www.politicsweb.co.za. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
|This article about South African government is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South Africa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|