South African Express
|Founded||24 April 1994|
|Hubs||O.R. Tambo International Airport|
|Secondary hubs||Cape Town International Airport|
|Focus cities||King Shaka International Airport|
|Alliance||Star Alliance (affiliate)|
|Company slogan||We Fly For You|
|Parent company||Government of South Africa|
|Headquarters||O.R. Tambo International Airport|
Kempton Park, Ekurhuleni, Gauteng, South Africa
|Key people||Siza Mzimela (Acting CEO)|
Mpho Selepe (CFO)
South African Express Airways SOC Ltd, known as South African Express or simply SA Express, is a state-owned airline based in South Africa that started operations on 24 April 1994. Although the airline is operationally independent of South African Airways, its flights are incorporated within the strategic alliance with South African Airways. The airline has its head office at Airways Park, Jones Road, next to O.R. Tambo International Airport in Kempton Park, Ekurhuleni, Gauteng.
On 24 May 2018 the South African Civil Aviation Authority grounded the airline due to "serious safety risks". They reported it could be months before the airline was operational again. Flights resumed on 23 August, following the issuance of airworthiness certificates for a portion of the airline's fleet.
Over recent years, South African Express was loss-making. Figures that had been made available were disputed, and the previously published accounts were withdrawn in November 2011 after accounting errors that dated back several years were discovered. Fuller reports are now being published, and available figures (for years ending 31 March) are:
|Net Profits/Losses after tax (Rm)||*||−186.9||−365.9||0.7||−10.0||−132.0|
|Number of employees (at year end)||839||n/a||1,026||1,090||1,136||1,136||1,188|
|Number of passengers (m)||1.5||1.4||1.6||1.5||1.496||1.451|
|Passenger load factor (%)||67||64||61||65||65||64|
|Number of aircraft (at year end)||n/a||24||24||24|
Profitability figures for 2008–09 are not shown above(*), as they are believed to have been restated since the publication of the Annual Report. Revised figures for 2010–11 are from press reports in April 2013; the financial statements for 2012–13 were audited, but received a qualified audit opinion.
South African Express served the following destinations (as of February 2016):
- Bloemfontein – Bloemfontein Airport Focus City
- Cape Town – Cape Town International Airport Hub
- Durban – King Shaka International Airport Regional Hub
- Hoedspruit – Eastgate Airport
- Johannesburg – O.R. Tambo International Airport Hub
- Kimberley – Kimberley Airport
- Richards Bay – Richards Bay Airport
The South African Express fleet consists of the following aircraft as of November 2017:
|Bombardier Dash 8-Q400||—||74|
|Embraer EMB 120 Brasilia||—||29||Wet-lease|
The airline fleet previously included the following aircraft (as of April 2013):
- "Sudden departure of South African Express' Inati Ntshanga adds to uncertainty". businesslive.co.za.
- "Legal Archived 2 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine.." SA Express. Retrieved on 6 February 2011. "Street Address: 4th Floor Offices, West Wing, Pier Development, Johannesburg International Airport"
- "Could be months before SA Express is off the ground again, says aviation body". Fin24. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "South African regional SA Express cleared to restart flights". Air Transport World. 20 August 2018. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "SA Express 2008–09 Annual Report" (PDF). SA Express. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 May 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "SA Express troubles come to light". BDLive.com. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "SA Express 2008–09 Financial Performance" (PDF). SA Express. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 May 2013. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "SA Express Annual Report 2012" (PDF). SA Express. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "SA Express Annual Report 2013". SA Express. Archived from the original on 19 March 2015. Retrieved 4 March 2015.
- "SA Express Annual Report 2015" (PDF). SA Express. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 February 2017. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "South African Express Airways Fleet Details and History". www.planespotters.net. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- "South African Express Airways Fleet Details and History – Planespotters.net Just Aviation". Planespotters.net. Archived from the original on 9 April 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
Media related to South African Express Airways at Wikimedia Commons