South African Medical Service
The South African Medical Service (SAMS) was a branch of the South African Defence Force (SADF). In 1994 when the SADF was merged with various other military and armed resistance forces as part of the post-apartheid reforms the SAMS became the South African Military Health Service of the South African National Defence Force.
|Part of a series on the|
|Military history of
|National Defence Force|
By that time three Medical Corps were already in existence, the Transvaal Medical Corps (established in 1903), the Natal Volunteer Medical Corps (established in 1899) and the Cape Medical Staff Corps.
The SAMS was established in July 1979 as a service branch of the SADF. The establishment combined the medical services of the Army, Navy and the Air Force. The head of the SAMS was the Surgeon-General who had the rank of Lieutenant-General.
The role of the SAMS was to provide health and medical support services to the SADF, it included a veterinary section that looked after dogs and horses. The SAMS operated three hospitals, 1 Military Hospital in Pretoria, 2 Military Hospital in Cape Town, and 3 Military Hospital in Bloemfontein. It also had three specialist institutes; the Institute for Aviation Medicine, the Institute for Maritime Medicine, and the Military Psychological Institute.
|1 February 1960||Maj Gen Eugene Raymond SSA SM||31 March 1969|
|1 April 1969||Lt Gen Colin Cockcroft SSA SM||31 October 1977|
|1 November 1977||Lt Gen Nicolaas Nieuwoudt SSA SD SM||29 February 1988|
|1 March 1988||Lt Gen Daniel Knobel SSAS SD SOE SM MMM KStJ MBC HB PHD||27 April 1994|
- Lillie, A.C. (1982). "THE ORIGIN AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN ARMY". South African Journal of Military Studies 12 (2).
- Orpen, Neil. "Appendix 1:THE UNION DEFENCE FORCE BEFORE 1933". HyperWar. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Pretorius, C.M.L (1982). "DIE SAGD - SY ONTSTAAN EN ONTWIKKELING". Scientaria Militaria 12 (2).
- "A Brief History of the South African Defence Force (SADF) 1912 1994. Part 2". Allexplore.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "South Africa Medical Service". Photius.com. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
|This South African military article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|