South African National Parks
|Jurisdiction||Government of South Africa|
|Headquarters||643 Leyds Street, Muckleneuk, Pretoria
|Parent agency||Department of Environmental Affairs|
South African National Parks (SANParks) is the body responsible for managing South Africa's national parks. SANParks was formed in 1926, and currently manages 22 parks consisting of over 3,700,000 hectares (37,000 km2), about 4% of the total area of South Africa.
The best known park is Kruger National Park, which is also the oldest (proclaimed in 1898), and the largest, at nearly 2,000,000 hectares (20,000 km2). The Kruger Park and Table Mountain National Park are two of South Africa's most visited tourist attractions.
List of parks administered by SANParks
The following are designated as National Parks of South Africa:
|Addo Elephant National Park||Eastern Cape
||1931||1,640 km2 (630 sq mi)|
|Agulhas National Park||Western Cape
||14 September 1998||20,959 hectares (51,790 acres)|
|Ai-Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park||Northern Cape
||2003||6,045 km2 (2,334 sq mi)|
|Augrabies Falls National Park||Northern Cape
||1966||820 km2 (320 sq mi)|
|Bontebok National Park||Western Cape
||1931||27.86 km2 (10.76 sq mi)|
|Camdeboo National Park||Eastern Cape
||1979 (Karoo Nature Reserve)
30 October 2005 (Camdeboo National Park)
|194.05 km2 (74.92 sq mi)|
|Garden Route National Park||Western Cape
||6 March 2009m (amalgamation of Tsitsikamma, Wilderness and Knysna National Lake Area||1,210 km2 (470 sq mi)|
|Golden Gate Highlands National Park||Free State
||1963||340 km2 (130 sq mi)|
|Karoo National Park||Western Cape
||1979||767.9 km2 (296.5 sq mi)|
|Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park||Northern Cape
||31 July 1931 (Kalahari Gemsbok National Park)
12 May 2000 (Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park)
|38,000 km2 (15,000 sq mi)|
|Kruger National Park||Limpopo and Mpumalanga
||31 May 1926||19,485 km2 (7,523 sq mi)|
|Mapungubwe National Park||Limpopo
||1995||280 square kilometres (110 sq mi)|
|Marakele National Park||Limpopo
||1994||670 km2 (260 sq mi)|
|Mokala National Park||Northern Cape
||19 June 2007||196.11 km2 (75.72 sq mi)|
|Mountain Zebra National Park||Eastern Cape
||1937||284 km2 (110 sq mi)|
|Namaqua National Park||Northern Cape
||1999||700 km2 (270 sq mi)|
|Table Mountain National Park||Western Cape
||19 May 1998||221 km2 (85 sq mi)|
|Tankwa Karoo National Park||Northern Cape
||19 May 1986||1,436 km2 (554 sq mi)|
|West Coast National Park||Western Cape
||1985||27,500 hectares (106 sq mi)|
Location of national parks
- Protected areas of South Africa
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife - The body responsible for maintaining wilderness areas and public nature reserves in KwaZulu-Natal
- Eastern Cape Parks - The body responsible for maintaining wilderness areas and public nature reserves in the Eastern Cape
- Gauteng Department of Agriculture, Conservation, Environment and Land Affairs - The government department responsible for maintaining wilderness areas and public nature reserves in Gauteng.
- Mpumalanga Parks Board - The body responsible for maintaining wilderness areas and public nature reserves in Mpumalanga
- North West Parks and Tourism Board - The body responsible for maintaining wilderness areas and public nature reserves in the North West
- CapeNature - The body responsible for maintaining wilderness areas and public nature reserves in the Western Cape
- Annual Report 2008/9 (PDF). South African National Parks. p. 22. ISBN 978-0-621-38726-1. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- Annual Report 2008/9 (PDF). South African National Parks. p. 97. ISBN 978-0-621-38726-1. Retrieved 13 February 2010.
- Brett, Michael: Touring South Africa's National Parks, Cape Town, 2010
- "About SANParks". South African National Parks. Retrieved 26 May 2008.
- "SANParks - South African National Parks (A-Z)". South African National Parks. Retrieved 7 December 2009.
- "Addo Elephant National Park". South African National Parks. Retrieved 2009-04-24.
- "Ai-Ais/Richtersveld Transfrontier Park". PeaceParks.Org. Retrieved 2009-05-20.
- House of Assembly Debates, cols 4366-81, 31 May 1926.
- Stevenson-Hamilton, James. (1937). South African Eden: The Kruger National Park 1902-1946. Struik Publishers, 1993.
- Rob East, ed. (1989). "Chapter 10: South Africa". Antelopes: Southern and South-Central Africa Pt. 2: Global Survey and Regional Action Plans. International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. Antelope Specialist Group. p. 60. ISBN 978-2-88032-970-9.
- "Tankwa Karoo National Park - Introduction". South African National Parks. Retrieved 15 February 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National parks of South Africa.|
- South African National Parks
- Interview with Head, Business Development, South African National Parks