South Alabama Regional Airport
|South Alabama Regional Airport
Bill Benton Field
NAIP aerial image, 2006
|Owner||South Alabama Regional Airport Authority|
|Serves||Andalusia & Opp, Alabama|
|Location||Covington County, Alabama|
|Elevation AMSL||310 ft / 94 m|
South Alabama Regional Airport at Bill Benton Field (FAA LID: 79J), formerly known as Andalusia-Opp Airport, is a public use airport in Covington County, Alabama, United States. It is located four nautical miles (5 mi, 7 km) east of the central business district of Andalusia, Alabama and about 9 miles (14 km) west of Opp, Alabama. The airport is governed by the South Alabama Regional Airport Authority, with members appointed by the Andalusia City Council, the Opp Council, and the Covington County Commission.
The Andalusia-Opp Airport Authority voted in May 2007 to change the name of the airport to South Alabama Regional Airport. It was also announced the same month that the airport had received a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation to extend the runway from 5,000 to 6,000 feet (1,800 m).
Facilities and aircraft
South Alabama Regional Airport covers an area of 615 acres (249 ha) at an elevation of 310 feet (94 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 11/29 with an asphalt surface measuring 6,000 by 100 feet (1,829 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending June 16, 2009, the airport had 62,750 aircraft operations, an average of 171 per day: 81% military and 19% general aviation. At that time there were 18 aircraft based at this airport: 89% single-engine and 11% multi-engine.
- FAA Airport Master Record for 79J ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective January 5, 2017.
- "South Alabama Regional Airport Authority". City of Andalusia. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A (PDF, 2.03 MB)" (PDF). 2011–2015 National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. External link in
- "2009–2013 NPIAS Report, Appendix A: Part 1 (PDF, 1.33 MB)" (PDF). 2009–2013 National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 15, 2008. External link in
- "Airport receives runway grant" (Press release). City of Andalusia. May 16, 2007.
- Aerial image as of February 1997 from USGS The National Map
- Airfield photos from U.S. Civil Air Patrol at the Wayback Machine (archived September 23, 2006)
- FAA Terminal Procedures for 79J, effective March 2, 2017
- Resources for this airport: