South Albany High School
|South Albany High School|
|3705 Columbus SE
Albany, Oregon, Linn County 97322
|School district||Greater Albany Public School District|
|Number of students||1330|
|Color(s)||Red and grey |
|Athletics conference||OSAA Mid-Willamette Conference 5A-3|
|Rival||Lebanon High School|
Built in 1970, South Albany occupies the largest facility in the Greater Albany Public School District, encompassing more than 167,000 square feet (15,500 m2) of classrooms and other facilities.
The schools motto Is "Rebel PRIDE" because students at South Albany wanted to make it a better place. They wanted the students to have more Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Discipline, and Excellence.
The South Albany sports program had a history of not ranking high in their conference and division. Though in 2004, the cheerleading program placed 2nd against 5a and 6a teams at state competition as well as winning all pre-state competitions. They also had 6 all Americans, 3 Les Schwab Bowl participants and qualified for nationals. The Football, Soccer, Dance and Cheerleading programs have all went to either District Playoffs/Championships or State Championships in the last two years. In 2016, the Cheerleading program qualified and competed at the National High School Cheerleading Competition. The dance team, the Southern Belles, have placed in the 5A OSAA Dance and Drill State Championship for quite a few years in a row.
April Fire's Day
On April 1, 2015, students and parents woke up to a news story that sounded like an April Fools' Day joke: Classes were cancelled for the day due to a large fire that had destroyed the school's choir room, band room and cafeteria. By 7 a.m., snorkel water cannons were being used to prevent the four-alarm fire from spreading to the rest of the school. The man who had lit the school on fire, Zachary Lee Burghart, ended up being convicted a few months later for arson after pleading guilty to lighting the school on fire.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: South Albany High School
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "4-alarm fire at South Albany High School". KGW. 2015-04-01. Retrieved 2015-04-01.
- "Arsonist Convicted of South Albany School Fire". The Oregonian.
|This Oregon school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|