South Amboy Middle High School
|South Amboy Middle High School|
|200 Governor Harold G. Hoffman Plaza
South Amboy, NJ 08879
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||South Amboy Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Patrick A. McCabe|
|Vice principal||Ken Blekeski|
|Enrollment||512 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.9:1|
|Athletics conference||Greater Middlesex Conference|
South Amboy Middle High School is a seven-year comprehensive community public high school that serves students in sixth through twelfth grades from South Amboy in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the South Amboy Public Schools.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 512 students and 39.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.9:1. There were 171 students (33.4% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 46 (9.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 245th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 172nd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 165th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 209th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 198th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 205th out of 376 public high schools statewide in its 2010 rankings (an increase of 3 positions from the 2009 rank) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the language arts literacy and mathematics components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
The South Amboy Middle High School Guvs compete in the Greater Middlesex Conference, which includes public and private high schools located in the greater Middlesex County area, operating under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 238 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as Central Jersey, Group I for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 12 to 467 students in that grade range.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Dr. Patrick A. McCabe, Principal
- Ken Blekeski, Vice-Principal / Athletic Director
- School data for South Amboy Middle/High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- South Amboy High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- South Amboy Middle/High School 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 11, 2016. "South Amboy Middle/High School offers a wide variety of academic, athletic, and art programs to students in grades 6-12."
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2009-2010, Schooldigger.com. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Public Past State Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 29, 2017.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 28, 2017.
- Directory, South Amboy Public Schools. Accessed May 11, 2016.
- "HOFFMAN, Harold Giles, (1896 - 1954)", Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Accessed November 24, 2014. "HOFFMAN, Harold Giles, a Representative from New Jersey; born in South Amboy, N.J., February 7, 1896; attended the public schools, and was graduated from the South Amboy High School in 1913"
- South Amboy Middle High School
- South Amboy Public Schools
- South Amboy Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the South Amboy Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics