South Andaman Island
Outline map of the Andaman Islands, with the location of South Andaman Island highlighted (in red)
|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||1,262 km2 (487 sq mi)|
|Length||83 km (51.6 mi)|
|Width||28 km (17.4 mi)|
|Coastline||413 km (256.6 mi)|
|Highest elevation||459 m (1,506 ft)|
|Highest point||Mount Koyob|
|Island group||Andaman Islands|
|Island sub-group||Great Andaman|
Port Blair (pop. 100,000)
|Population||209,602 (2011)only villages on south andaman island|
|Pop. density||166 /km2 (430 /sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Hindu, Andamanese|
|Telephone code||031927 |
|Avg. summer temperature||30.2 °C (86.4 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||23.0 °C (73.4 °F)|
|Official Languages||Hindi, English|
South Andaman Island is the southernmost island of the Great Andaman and is home to the majority of the population of the Andaman Islands. It belongs to the South Andaman administrative district, part of the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
South Andaman Island was struck by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake, leading to many deaths on the island.
The island belongs to the Great Andaman Chain. Some areas of the island are restricted areas for non-Indians; however, transit permits can be obtained from the Home Ministry. South Andaman is the third largest island in the island group. It is located immediately south of Middle Andaman Island and Baratang, from which it is separated only by a narrow channel, a few hundred meters wide. The island is 83 kilometres (52 miles) long and 28 kilometres (17 miles) at its widest part. Its area is 1,262 square kilometres (487 square miles). South Andaman is less mountainous than the more northerly of the Andaman Islands. Koiob reaches a height of 456.6 kilometres (283.7 miles) above sea level. 
Port Blair, the capital of the islands, is located on the southern part of this island. Other big cities are : Bambooflat, Prothrapur, and Garacharma. It had a population of 209,602 at the 2011 census. The effective literacy rate (i.e. the literacy rate of population excluding children aged 6 and below) is 80.6%.
|Children aged below 6 years||21498||10954||10544|
|Main workers (total)||75885||61685||14200|
|Main workers: Cultivators||3054||2130||924|
|Main workers: Agricultural labourers||1229||1042||187|
|Main workers: Household industry workers||624||463||161|
|Main workers: Other||70978||58050||12928|
|Marginal workers (total)||9246||6458||2788|
|Marginal workers: Cultivators||412||293||119|
|Marginal workers: Agricultural labourers||613||465||148|
|Marginal workers: Household industry workers||181||103||78|
|Marginal workers: Others||8040||5597||2443|
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (September 2016)|
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Andaman.
- "Sailing Directions (enroute) | India and the Bay of Bengal" (PDF) (173). National Geospatial-intelligence Agency, United States Government. 2014. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- "A&N Islands - Pincodes". 22 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "STD Codes of Andaman and Nicobar". allcodesindia.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "Village Code Directory: Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). Census of India. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- Classic Encyclopedia, based on the 11th Edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica, 1991: Andaman Islands
- "DEMOGRAPHIC – A&N ISLANDS" (PDF). andssw1.and.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- Island-wise Statistical Outline - 2008. NORTH ANDAMAN ISLAND (PDF)
- "District Census Handbook - Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). 2011 Census of India. Directorate of Census Operations, Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Andaman Island.|
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands travel guide from Wikivoyage