South Andaman Island
Outline map of the Andaman Islands, with the location of South Andaman Island highlighted (in red)
|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||1,262 km2 (487 sq mi)|
|Length||83 km (51.6 mi)|
|Width||28 km (17.4 mi)|
|Coastline||413 km (256.6 mi)|
|Highest elevation||459 m (1,506 ft)|
|Highest point||Mount Koyob|
|Island group||Andaman Islands|
|Island sub-group||Great Andaman|
|Largest settlement||Port Blair (pop. 100,000)|
|Population||209,602 (2011)only villages on south andaman island|
|Pop. density||166 /km2 (430 /sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Hindu, Andamanese|
|Telephone code||031927 |
|Avg. summer temperature||30.2 °C (86.4 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||23.0 °C (73.4 °F)|
|Official Languages||Hindi, English|
South Andaman Island is the southernmost island of the Great Andaman and is home to the majority of the population of the Andaman Islands. It belongs to the South Andaman administrative district, part of the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. It is the location of Port Blair, capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
South Andaman Island was struck by the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake, leading to many deaths on the island.
The island belongs to the Great Andaman Chain. Some areas of the island are restricted areas for non-Indians; however, transit permits can be obtained from the Home Ministry. South Andaman is the third largest island in the island group. It is located immediately south of Middle Andaman Island and Baratang, from which it is separated only by a narrow channel, a few hundred meters wide. The island is 83 kilometres (52 miles) long and 28 kilometres (17 miles) at its widest part. Its area is 1,262 square kilometres (487 square miles). South Andaman is less mountainous than the more northerly of the Andaman Islands. Koiob reaches a height of 459 metres (1,506 feet) above sea level. 
Port Blair, the capital of the islands, is located on the southern part of this island. Other big cities are : Bambooflat, Prothrapur, and Garacharma. North Andaman had a population of 209,602 at the 2011 census. The population for the whole of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands was 356,152 in 2001. The effective literacy rate (i.e. the literacy rate of population excluding children aged 6 and below) is 80.6%.
|Children aged below 6 years||21498||10954||10544|
|Main workers (total)||75885||61685||14200|
|Main workers: Cultivators||3054||2130||924|
|Main workers: Agricultural labourers||1229||1042||187|
|Main workers: Household industry workers||624||463||161|
|Main workers: Other||70978||58050||12928|
|Marginal workers (total)||9246||6458||2788|
|Marginal workers: Cultivators||412||293||119|
|Marginal workers: Agricultural labourers||613||465||148|
|Marginal workers: Household industry workers||181||103||78|
|Marginal workers: Others||8040||5597||2443|
- "Islandwise Area and Population - 2011 Census" (PDF). Government of Andaman.
- Sailing Directions (Enroute), Pub. 173: India and the Bay of Bengal (PDF). Sailing Directions. United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. 2017. p. 285.
- "A&N Islands - Pincodes". 22 September 2016. Archived from the original on 23 March 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "STD Codes of Andaman and Nicobar". allcodesindia.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- Registration Plate Numbers added to ISO Code
- "Village Code Directory: Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). Census of India. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Andaman Islands". Encyclopædia Britannica. 1 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 955.
- "DEMOGRAPHIC – A&N ISLANDS" (PDF). andssw1.and.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- Island-wise Statistical Outline - 2008. NORTH ANDAMAN ISLAND[permanent dead link] (PDF)
- "Demographic Profile" (PDF). NIC, Andaman State Unit. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "District Census Handbook - Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). 2011 Census of India. Directorate of Census Operations, Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 August 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-21.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Andaman Island.|
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands travel guide from Wikivoyage