South Arm Township, Michigan
|South Arm Township, Michigan|
|• Total||32.7 sq mi (84.6 km2)|
|• Land||30.7 sq mi (79.4 km2)|
|• Water||2.0 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|Elevation||755 ft (230 m)|
|• Density||61/sq mi (23.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627092|
South Arm Township is located in southern Charlevoix County and is bordered by Antrim County to the south and west. The township surrounds the city of East Jordan. The township's name comes from the South Arm of Lake Charlevoix, which extends from the northern border to the center of the township. According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 32.7 square miles (84.6 km2), of which 30.7 square miles (79.4 km2) is land and 2.0 square miles (5.3 km2), or 6.25%, is water.
- Dwight was the name of a rural post office here from 1866 until 1898.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,844 people, 670 households, and 517 families residing in the township. The population density was 60.0 per square mile (23.2/km²). There were 947 housing units at an average density of 30.8 per square mile (11.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.10% White, 1.68% Native American, 0.11% Asian, 1.25% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.63% of the population.
There were 670 households out of which 33.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 69.0% were married couples living together, 4.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.7% were non-families. 18.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 2.96.
In the township the population was spread out with 25.1% under the age of 18, 5.3% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 16.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 97.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $42,159, and the median income for a family was $48,438. Males had a median income of $31,964 versus $25,096 for females. The per capita income for the township was $17,554. About 3.5% of families and 4.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.3% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: South Arm Township, Michigan
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): South Arm township, Charlevoix County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- Romig 1986, p. 166.
- Romig, Walter (October 1, 1986) . Michigan Place Names: The History of the Founding and the Naming of More Than Five Thousand Past and Present Michigan Communities. Great Lakes Books Series (Paperback). Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X. ISBN 978-0814318386.