South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute
The northeast face of the SAHMRI building in May 2014
|Executive Director||Professor Steve Wesselingh|
|Location||Adelaide, South Australia, Australia|
The South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) is an independent health and medical research institute in Adelaide, South Australia. The institute is housed in an iconic, purpose-built eponymous building in South Australia's health and biomedical precinct on North Terrace, Adelaide.
According to SAHMRI itself, the institute is composed of approximately 600 researchers, both local and international.
The institute was officially incorporated in December 2009, and opened in its current location on 29 November 2013. As at 2015, the institute receives approximately A$5 million per year in funding from the Government of South Australia.
SAHMRI is located on North Terrace, Adelaide City Centre, next to the new Royal Adelaide Hospital.
In 2007 the South Australian Government commissioned the Review of Health and Medical Research in South Australia. The review was conducted by Professor John Shine and Alan Young. In May 2008 the review recommended that the South Australian Government establish a new health and medical research institute, and a fund to finance the institute.
The South Australian Government committed to establish the institute, and the Australian Government provided A$200 million to help build the institute's building. The institute was incorporated in December 2009.
SAHMRI is governed by a nine-person board which includes representatives of South Australia's three universities: Flinders University, the University of Adelaide and the University of South Australia. SAHMRI's current executive director is Professor Steve Wesselingh.
- "Iconic and Innovative – SAHMRI stitches up the competition at SA Architecture Awards". South Australian Chapter News. Australian Institute of Architects. 7 July 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "SAHMRI: About Us". South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute. Retrieved 23 November 2015.
- "SA's $200m medical research institute officially opened by Prime Minister and Premier". ABC News 24. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 29 November 2013. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Our Story | SAHMRI". www.sahmri.com. Retrieved 2016-05-16.
- "SAHMRI Board | SAHMRI". www.sahmri.com. Retrieved 2016-05-16.
|This article about an organisation in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|