South Bank, York
South Bank is an area to the south of the River Ouse in York. The area is dominated by the disused Terry's chocolate factory, The Chocolate Works, and the numerous streets of terraced housing that surround it.
The Chocolate Works factory opened in 1926, where over the years it manufactured Terry's Chocolate Orange, Terry's All Gold and York Fruits. Terry's was acquired by Kraft Foods in 1993, who decided in 2004 to switch production of remaining products All Gold and Chocolate Orange to factories in Belgium, Sweden, Poland and Slovakia, and close the plant. The factory closed on 30 September 2005, with the loss of 317 jobs.
Near the factory is located York Racecourse, which forms part of the larger Knavesmire. There is an Athletics Club, the Knavesmire Harriers, who train in this area. South Bank is also the location of Rowntree Park near to the river. The Millennium Bridge, which links South Bank to Fishergate and Fulford on the other side of the river, was completed in 2001 at a cost of £ 4.2 million.
Knavesmire Primary School opened in 1914 and is the main primary school in the area. Millthorpe School is a specialist language college and has recently been awarded specialist status in science. The York branch of The College of Law is located on Bishopthorpe Road. Many law students rent houses in South Bank.
(All walk times calculated by GPS from South Bank Avenue)
- 20 minutes' walk or 5 minutes by bicycle to York railway station
- 18 minutes' walk or 4 minutes by bicycle to York City Centre
- 14 minutes' walk or 3 minutes by bicycle to the York greenbelt along the River Ouse
- 7 minutes' walk or 1 minute by bicycle to York Racecourse
- The York to Selby cycle path (Distance: 15 miles one way) starts from near York Racecourse.
- 6 minutes' walk or 1 minute by bicycle to the proposed luxury development at the old Terry's Chocolate Factory
Images of local area
Knavesmire from South Bank
Terry's factory site with York Racecourse in the background
A statue in Rowntree Park
A view of the Ebor stand at York Racecourse