South Bank railway station, Brisbane
North-west bound view in September 2006
|Location||Grey Street, South Brisbane|
|Owned by||Queensland Rail|
|Operated by||City network|
|Distance||3.55 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||3 (1 side, 1 island)|
|Connections||South Bank busway station|
|Station code||600006 (platform 1)|
600188 (platform 2)
600189 (platform 3)
|Fare zone||go card 1|
|Previous names||Vulture Street|
South Bank station opened as Vulture Street, after the adjoining street. The station provides access to the park and cinemas, and the Grey Street retail and dining precinct.
In September 1930, the standard gauge New South Wales North Coast line opened to the west of the station. In 1995, as part of the construction of the Gold Coast line, the standard gauge line was converted to dual gauge.
On 27 April 2001, the station was renamed South Bank (Vulture Street), later being simplified to South Bank in reference to its proximity to the South Bank Parklands. At the same time a platform face was added on the dual gauge line.
In December 2013, work commenced on a transit oriented development at South Bank, which will see the station covered with office and apartment buildings. The new apartments are called Southpoint. The proposal was announced by the Queensland Government in November 2007.
Services by platform
|1||Beenleigh||Kuraby & Beenleigh|||
|Cleveland||Park Road, Cannon Hill, Manly & Cleveland|||
|Gold Coast||Varsity Lakes|||
|2||Beenleigh||Bowen Hills & Ferny Grove|||
|Cleveland||Bowen Hills, Doomben & Shorncliffe|||
|Gold Coast||Bowen Hills & Brisbane Airport Domestic|||
|3||Beenleigh||Beenleigh||Early morning only|
|Park Road, Bowen Hills & Doomben||Saturday services|
|Gold Coast||Bowen Hills & Brisbane Airport Domestic||Peak hours only|
|Doomben||Morning peak only|
|Varsity Lakes||Peak hours only|
- "Brisbane Express First Train Leaves via North Coast Route" Sydney Morning Herald 27 September 1930
- "Rails return to the Gold Coast" Railway Digest August 1996 page 19
- "Queensland Short Lines" Railway Digest January 2001 page 10
- "Emporium creator to launch $590m Southpoint development". The Urban Developer. 9 August 2013.
- Anna Bligh (13 November 2007). "Old Meets New in $650 Million South Bank Proposal". Queensland Government.
- "Beenleigh Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Cleveland Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Airport/Gold Coast Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- South Bank Platform 1 Translink
- South Bank Platform 2 Translink
- South Bank Platform 3 Translink
- Cultual Centre station TransLink
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Bank railway station.|