South Beach Casino
South Beach Casino and Resort is a hotel/casino located in Scanterbury, Manitoba, and began operation in May 28, 2005, and is still in operation today. Often simply referred to as South Beach, it is one of three Manitoba First Nation–owned casinos in the province.
South Beach is owned by 7 Manitoba First Nations.
South Beach is located on Manitoba Highway 59, 70 km or one hour northeast of Winnipeg, Manitoba, at coordinates 50°21′40.4″N 96°37′19.9″W.
Ownership and management
South Beach is owned by seven Manitoba First Nations that fall under the umbrella of the Southeast Resource Development Council Corp. The First Nations are Black River First Nation, Bloodvein First Nation, Brokenhead Ojibway Nation, Hollow Water First Nation, Little Grand Rapids First Nation, Pauingassi First Nation and Poplar River First Nation.
The casino portion of South Beach is in operation 364 days a year. Closed only Christmas Day. The casino has roughly 40,000+ square feet. It is a smoke-free environment. It operates 600 slot machines, blackjack tables, other gambling tables .
The resort portion of South Beach is in operation 365 days a year. It is fashioned in an Art-Deco design and tropical motif featuring a range of rooms which go from standard or deluxe rooms all the way to "grand" suites. It features a "tropical" pool and cascading "waterfall", various ball/convention rooms, restaurant, and a lounge featuring live entertainment.
The seven Manitoba First Nations collectively sought out a loan to help fund and build the casino and resort. This was considered a high-risk venture and no one was willing to assist in its development.
Hemisphere Gaming of Minnesota was the only company that was willing to fund and help build South Beach Casino and Resort.
- "South Beach Casino - SERDC". www.serdc.mb.ca. Retrieved Jun 11, 2019.
- "Confusion in the NDP's Native Casino File". Winnipeg Free Press. 2007-08-17.
- Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs. "UPDATED: Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs signs contract for casino at Carberry". www.brandonsun.com. Retrieved Jun 11, 2019.
- "SOUTH BEACH CASINO AND RESORT - Updated 2019 Prices & Hotel Reviews (Manitoba/Scanterbury)". TripAdvisor. Retrieved Jun 11, 2019.
- "Management fees eat up First Nation casino profits", CBC News, October 17, 2011. Retrieved 2015-10-24.