South Bend – Mishawaka metropolitan area
The South Bend–Mishawaka Metropolitan Statistical Area, as defined by the United States Census Bureau, is an area consisting of two counties – one in northern Indiana (St. Joseph) and one in southwest Michigan (Cass), anchored by the cities of South Bend and Mishawaka in Indiana. As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 319,224 (though a July 1, 2016 estimate placed the population at 320,740).
- 1 Counties
- 2 Communities
- 3 Townships
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Combined Statistical Area
- 6 See also
- 7 References
Places with more than 100,000 inhabitants
- South Bend, Indiana (Principal city)
Places with 50,000 to 100,000 inhabitants
- Mishawaka, Indiana (Principal city)
Places with 1,000 to 50,000 inhabitants
- Cassopolis, Michigan
- Dowagiac, Michigan
- Edwardsburg, Michigan
- Georgetown, Indiana (census-designated place)
- Granger, Indiana (census-designated place)
- Gulivoire Park, Indiana (census-designated place)
- Marcellus, Michigan
- New Carlisle, Indiana
- Niles, Michigan (partial)
- North Liberty, Indiana
- Osceola, Indiana
- Roseland, Indiana
- Walkerton, Indiana
Places with less than 1,000 inhabitants
- Colburn, Indiana
- Crumstown, Indiana
- La Grange, Michigan
- Notre Dame, Indiana
- Penn, Michigan
- Pleasant Valley, Indiana
- Pokagon, Michigan
- Sumnerville, Michigan
- Union, Michigan
- Westfield, Indiana
- Wyatt, Indiana
St. Joseph County
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 316,663 people, 120,419 households, and 81,096 families residing within the MSA. The racial makeup of the MSA was 83.46% White, 10.59% African American, 0.43% Native American, 1.21% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 2.27% from other races, and 2.00% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.35% of the population.
The median income for a household in the MSA was $40,842, and the median income for a family was $48,277. Males had a median income of $36,311 versus $24,918 for females. The per capita income for the MSA was $19,615.
Combined Statistical Area
The South Bend–Elkhart–Mishawaka Combined Statistical Area is made up of three counties – three in northern Indiana and two in southwest Michigan. The statistical area includes two metropolitan areas and one micropolitan area. As of the 2010 Census, the CSA had a population of 720,647 (though a July 1, 2016 estimate placed the population at 725,087).
- Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs)
- Micropolitan Statistical Areas (μSAs)
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2016 - United States -- Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico". 2016 Population Estimates. United States Census Bureau, Population Division. Retrieved 2017-05-06.
- "US Census QuickFacts". Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.