South Bend station
|Location||2702 West Washington Avenue
South Bend, IN 46628
|Owned by||Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Passengers (2013)||25,613 3.3%|
South Bend is a train station in South Bend, Indiana. It is served by Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited between Chicago, Boston and New York City, and Capitol Limited between Chicago and Washington D.C.. The station was built by the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad in 1970; South Shore Line trains continued to use it until 1992.
Until 1970 South Shore Line interurbans served downtown South Bend at LaSalle and Michigan. The city had long wanted to eliminate street running, while the South Shore was looking to reduce costs as passenger traffic declined. The South Shore embarked on a program to consolidate its operations in South Bend. This included constructing the current station building at Meade and Washington and selling the old downtown station, which had opened in 1921. When Amtrak began serving South Bend in 1971 it used this station instead of the larger Union Station. The South Shore Line moved its terminus to a new terminal at the South Bend Regional Airport in November 1992.
- Route 2
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of Indiana" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Interurban Moves into New Station". The South Bend News-Times. August 3, 1921. p. 4. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- "South Shore Line Starts New Station". The News-Palladium. March 28, 1970. p. 15. Retrieved October 10, 2015 – via Newspapers.com.
- Ogorek 2012, p. 62
- Ogorek 2012, p. 93
- Ogorek, Cynthia L. (2012). Along the Chicago South Shore & South Bend Rail Line. Images of America. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing. ISBN 978-0-738-59419-4. OCLC 796757417.
- Media related to South Bend (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – South Bend, IN
- South Bend Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- South Bend (SOB)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This Indiana train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|