South Bermondsey railway station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
Location of South Bermondsey in Greater London
|Number of platforms||2 (island)|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|13 August 1866||Opened|
|17 June 1928||new station opened|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
South Bermondsey is a railway station in Bermondsey in South London, on the South London Line between London Bridge and Queens Road Peckham. It is served by trains from London Bridge to West Croydon via East Dulwich and Norbury (East Croydon on Sundays) and Beckenham Junction via Crystal Palace, as well as trains returning to London Bridge.
The original station was situated to the north-west of South Bermondsey Junction, on the northern side of Rotherhithe New Road. It opened on 13 August 1866 with the South London Line, and was originally named Rotherhithe; it was renamed South Bermondsey on 1 December 1869. It closed on 17 June 1928, when the present station, situated south of South Bermondsey Junction, took its place. The 1928 station is on an embankment, and its platforms and buildings are of wooden construction; the current passenger access to the station from Rotherhithe New Road and Ilderton Road is by a footpath partly constructed on the embankment previously occupied by the line to Bricklayers Arms and Willow Walk Goods Depots. After the adjacent New Den Stadium, Millwall F.C.'s home ground, opened in 1993, a direct footpath was built from the station to the away section of the ground; this is used on match days only.
Accidents and incidents
- On 21 January 1947, an empty stock train was involved in a rear-end collision with an electric multiple unit.
The typical Monday-Saturday off-peak service in trains per hour is:
On Sundays this is reduced to:
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
London Bridge to West Croydon
and Beckenham Junction
|Queens Road Peckham|
London Buses route P12 serve the station.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Mitchell, Victor E.; Smith, Keith (February 1995). South London Line. London Suburban Railways. Midhurst: Middleton Press. map above Figure 15. ISBN 1-873793-46-4.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. pp. 200, 215. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Trevena, Arthur (1981). Trains in Trouble: Vol. 2. Redruth: Atlantic Books. p. 33. ISBN 0-906899-03-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Bermondsey railway station.|