South Bermondsey railway station
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Location of South Bermondsey in Greater London
|Number of platforms||2|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Pre-grouping||London, Brighton and South Coast Railway|
|13 August 1866||Opened|
|1 January 1917||Closed|
|1 May 1919||Reopened|
|17 June 1928||New station opened|
|Lists of stations|
| London Transport portal
UK Railways portal
South Bermondsey railway station is on the South London Line, serving the district of South Bermondsey in the London Borough of Southwark. It is 1 mile 63 chains (2.9 km) down-line from London Bridge; the following station on the line is Queens Road Peckham.
It is managed by Southern, which also operates all the trains that call.
The original station was situated to the north-west of South Bermondsey Junction, on the northern side of Rotherhithe New Road. It opened on 13 August 1866 with the South London Line, and was originally named Rotherhithe; it was renamed South Bermondsey on 1 December 1869. It closed on 17 June 1928, when the present station, situated south of South Bermondsey Junction, took its place. The 1928 station is on an embankment, and its platforms and buildings are of wooden construction; the current passenger access to the station from Rotherhithe New Road and Ilderton Road is by a footpath partly constructed on the embankment previously occupied by the line to Bricklayers Arms and Willow Walk Goods Depots. After the adjacent New Den Stadium, Millwall F.C.'s home ground, opened in 1993, a direct footpath was built from the station to the away section of the ground; this is used on match days only.
Accidents and incidents
- On 21 January 1947, an empty stock train was involved in a rear-end collision with an electric multiple unit.
The typical Monday-Saturday off-peak service in trains per hour is:
On Sundays this is reduced to:
London Buses routes 1, 381 and P12 serve the station.
The Quietway 1 cycle route passes the station entrance.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Chronology of London Railways by H.V.Borley
- Southern Electric 4th Edition by G.T.Moody page 6
- Mitchell, Victor E.; Smith, Keith (February 1995). South London Line. London Suburban Railways. Midhurst: Middleton Press. map above Figure 15. ISBN 1-873793-46-4.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. pp. 200, 215. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Trevena, Arthur (1981). Trains in Trouble: Vol. 2. Redruth: Atlantic Books. p. 33. ISBN 0-906899-03-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Bermondsey railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
South London Line
|Queens Road Peckham|