South Bristol Community Hospital
|South Bristol Community Hospital|
July 2010 taken from Maes Knoll
|Location||Hengrove Park, Bristol, South West, England, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Emergency department||No Accident & Emergency|
|Founded||5 March 2010 (Ground-cutting)
March 2012 (opened)
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
Planning permission for the hospital was granted in March 2008. The NHS South West board approved the £54 million facility in January 2009. Final go ahead was given in early 2010. The ground-cutting ceremony was held on 5 March 2010. Construction, which cost £45 million, was completed in the spring of 2012, although not all services were operating in March 2012.
The hospital provides a Minor Injuries Unit, an out-of-hours GP service, day surgery facilities, stroke rehabilitation, medical imaging and dental facilities. It replaces outdated facilities at Bristol General Hospital. The hospital was developed by NHS Bristol in conjunction with Bristol Infracare LIFT Ltd, a public-private partnership setup to provide new healthcare facilities in Bristol.
The hospital is a key part of the Hengrove Park Regeneration Project that will include a new Skills Academy, a sports and leisure centre, corporate headquarters and transport infrastructure improvements. There had been debate about a new hospital for South Bristol for a considerable time. The last plans by Bristol and Weston Health Authority were shelved in the late 1980s. The current development comes from plans instituted by Bristol Health Services Plan in 2000.
- "Work starts on £54m South Bristol community hospital". BBC News. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 5 March 2010.
- "South Bristol Community Hospital is formally opened - after 60 years of waiting". Bristol Evening Post. 31 March 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Planning Application Search - Application Details (07/05332/F)". Bristol City Council. Retrieved 2008-12-23.
- "New hospitals for city approved". BBC News. 16 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-16.
- Staff writer (15 February 2010). "Bristol community hospital wait is over . . . after 60 years of campaigning". Bristol Evening Post. Bristol News and Media. Retrieved 24 February 2010.
- Staff (31 March 2012). "South Bristol Community Hospital is formally opened - after 60 years of waiting". thisisbristol.co.uk. Northcliffe Media. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "South Bristol Community Hospital - Latest News". NHS Bristol. Retrieved 2008-12-23.
- "South Bristol Community Hospital – Stage 2 Business Case EXECUTIVE SUMMARY" (MS Word). Bristol NHS Primary Care Trust. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Bristol Infracare LIFT Ltd - News". www.brislift.org. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "South Bristol Community Hospital and Diagnostic & Treatment Centre" (MS Word). Bristol South and West Primary Care Trust. 22 May 2003. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "Bristol Homeopathic Hospital". University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust. 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.