South Broward High School
|South Broward High School|
|1901 N Federal Hwy
Hollywood, Florida 33020
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Red and gold|
|Website||SBHS - Home of the Bulldogs|
South Broward High School (SBHS) is a marine science magnet school located in the Royal Poinciana neighborhood of Hollywood, Florida, United States. The school is a part of the Broward County Public Schools district.
The site for the school was located approximately two miles north in the city of Dania at the current site of Dania Beach Elementary School. It is the second oldest high school established in Broward County, after Fort Lauderdale High School. Dania High School, which had been a part of the Dania School founded in 1913 by the Dade County School Board, was renamed South Broward in 1938. Its name was appropriate considering that when Broward County was founded in 1915, it was effectively the only public school serving the southern half of the county. When a larger school was needed, the campus relocated to its present site at the corner of Federal Highway and Harding Street in 1949, and expanded northward not long after. After South Broward was integrated in 1966, it absorbed a significant number of the African American student body that had attended Attucks School (now the site of Attucks Middle School), which had served grades 7 through 12.
The school's athletic teams are known as the Bulldogs. The school offers a wide range of extracurricular and athletic activities.
It is one of the more ethnically and socioeconomically diverse high schools in Florida, providing an accurate demographic sample of the city of Hollywood as a whole.
- Chris Bushing - former professional baseball player with the (Cincinnati Reds)
- Travis Daniels - cornerback for the Cleveland Browns of the NFL
- Janice Dickinson - first supermodel, TV celebrity
- Howard Finkelstein - chief public defender of Broward County
- Tucker Frederickson - former running back for the New York Giants of the NFL
- Beam Furr - Broward County Commissioner
- Bill Hawkins - former defensive lineman for the Los Angeles Rams of the NFL
- Bobby Kent - murder victim; inspiration for the film Bully
- Danny McManus - former Florida State University professional American and Canadian football
- South Broward High School
- School profile
- South Broward High School Band
- South Broward classes of '70, '71, and '72 Facebook page