South Calgary, Calgary
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Councillor||Evan Woolley|
|• Total||1.1 km2 (0.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,115 m (3,658 ft)|
|• Average Income||$38,012|
|Website||South Calgary Community Association|
South Calgary is a residential neighbourhood in the southwest quadrant of Calgary, Alberta. It is located between 14th St west and Crowchild Trail. The community has an area redevelopment plan in place.
The community maintains an outdoor swimming pool, as well as a community hall and several city parks. The Giuffre Family Library (previously Alexander Calhoun Library) of the Calgary Public Library is also located in the area.
South Calgary was established in 1914 on land annexed by the City of Calgary in 1907. However, the area remained largely undeveloped until the early 1950s.
In the City of Calgary's 2012 municipal census, South Calgary had a population of 3,698 living in 2,244 dwellings, a 1.5% increase from its 2011 population of 3,642. With a land area of 0.9 km2 (0.35 sq mi), it had a population density of 4,110/km2 (10,600/sq mi) in 2012.
South Calgary is represented in the Calgary City Council by the Ward 8 councillor, on a provincial level by Calgary Currie MLA Brian Malkinson, and at the federal level the riding of Calgary Centre represented by Kent Hehr.
- "Calgary Elections". City of Calgary. 2017. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- City of Calgary (2006). "South Calgary - Community Social Statistics" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-04.
- City of Calgary Planning (2005). "South Calgary Altadore Area Redevelopment Plan" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-07-27.
- Federation of Calgary Communities. "South Calgary". Retrieved 2007-05-04.
- "2012 Civic Census Results" (PDF). City of Calgary. 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Community Boundaries" (Esri shapefile). City of Calgary. Retrieved February 5, 2013.