South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park LRT Station
South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park is an LRT station on the Capital Line in Edmonton, Alberta. It is a ground-level station located on the University of Alberta's South Campus approximately two blocks to the west of the site originally proposed for the station on 113 Street.
The station was formally opened on April 25, 2009, with regular service commencing on April 26, 2009.
On September 5, 2012, Edmonton City Council's executive committee voted to change the name of the station from "South Campus" to "South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park", citing Fort Edmonton Park lobbying for their name to be added since the station's opening. This vote was against the advice of the city's naming committee, who had originally chosen not to add Fort Edmonton Park to the name, because of its distance from the station – 3.4 kilometres. This change led to some negative feedback from the public, believing that tourists to the city would expect the park to be within walking distance of that station, and not a five-minute bus ride.
The station has a 123 metre long centre loading platform that can accommodate two five-car trains at the same time, one on each side of the platform. The platform is exactly nine metres wide.
Around the station
- Alberta School for the Deaf
- Grandview Heights
- Lendrum Place
- Neil Crawford Provincial Centre
- University of Alberta South Campus
South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre
|Platforms||14 bus bays|
The South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre is located adjacent to the LRT station to the west. The transit centre primarily offers connections to West Edmonton.
The following bus routes serve the transit centre:
|Capilano Transit Centre||4|
|Century Park Transit Centre||36, 43|
|Fort Edmonton Park/Edmonton Valley Zoo||596|
|Leger Transit Centre||330|
|Lessard||104, 105, 106|
|Lewis Farms Transit Centre||4, 133|
|Mill Woods Transit Centre||30|
|Southgate Transit Centre||32, 50, 53, 55|
|University of Alberta||54, 106|
- "2013 LRT Passenger Count Report" (PDF). Edmonton Transit System. January 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- LeBlanc, Brittney (April 25, 2009). "Opening Celebrations for two new LRT stations held today". iNews880. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- Johnston, Scott (August 31, 2012). "Add name Fort Edmonton to South Campus LRT". iNews880. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Fort Edmonton to be added to LRT station name". CBC News. September 5, 2012. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- Staples, David (September 7, 2012). "Close only counts in horse shoes ... and LRT stations". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- City of Edmonton (July 2011). "LRT Design Guidelines 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. p. 700. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
Media related to South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park at Wikimedia Commons