South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park station
|Edmonton LRT station|
|Owned by||City of Edmonton|
|Website||South Campus LRT Station|
South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park station is an Edmonton Light Rail Transit station in Edmonton, Alberta. It is served by the Capital Line and the Metro Line during peak hours. It is a ground-level station located on the University of Alberta's South Campus approximately two blocks to the west of the site originally proposed for the station on 113 Street.
The station was formally opened on April 25, 2009, with regular service commencing on April 26, 2009.
on September 18th 2018 a man was stabbed on the platform while waiting for the train.
On September 5, 2012, Edmonton City Council's executive committee voted to change the name of the station from "South Campus" to "South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park", citing Fort Edmonton Park lobbying for their name to be added since the station's opening. This vote was against the advice of the city's naming committee, who had originally chosen not to add Fort Edmonton Park to the name, because of its distance from the station – 3.4 kilometres. This change led to some negative feedback from the public, believing that tourists to the city would expect the park to be within walking distance of that station, and not a five-minute bus ride.
The station has a 123 metre long centre loading platform that can accommodate two five-car trains at the same time, one on each side of the platform. The platform is exactly nine metres wide.
Around the station
- Alberta School for the Deaf
- Grandview Heights
- Lendrum Place
- Neil Crawford Provincial Centre
- University of Alberta South Campus
South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre
|Platforms||14 bus bays|
|Website||South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre|
The South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre is adjacent to the LRT station to the west. It has several amenities including public washrooms, a large shelter, a pay phone and vending machines. There is no drop-off area or park & ride. The transit centre itself is not directly at Fort Edmonton Park; it is 4 kilometres (2.5 mi) driving distance from the attraction. Walking to the attraction from the transit centre can be difficult as there are no direct paths there from the transit centre.
The following bus routes serve the transit centre:
|Aspen Gardens||50, 53|
|Capilano Transit Centre||4|
|Century Park Transit Centre||30, 36, 43|
|Fort Edmonton Park||595|
|Leger Transit Centre||30, 36|
|Lessard||104, 105, 106|
|Lewis Farms Transit Centre||4|
|Southgate Transit Centre||32, 50, 53, 55|
|University Transit Centre||4, 54, 106|
|West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre||4, 106, 562|
The above list does not include LRT services from the adjacent LRT station.
School special routes that arrive/depart from South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre include routes 697, 728, 735, 738, 828 and 926.
- "2017 LRT Passenger Count Report" (PDF). Edmonton Transit System. March 2018. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- LeBlanc, Brittney (April 25, 2009). "Opening Celebrations for two new LRT stations held today". iNews880. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- Parsons, Page (18 September 2018). "'Plunged a knife a couple times': Witnesses treat stabbing victim at South Campus LRT station platform". Edmonton Journal. Postmedia. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- Johnston, Scott (August 31, 2012). "Add name Fort Edmonton to South Campus LRT". iNews880. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "Fort Edmonton to be added to LRT station name". CBC News. September 5, 2012. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- Staples, David (September 7, 2012). "Close only counts in horse shoes ... and LRT stations". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- City of Edmonton (July 2011). "LRT Design Guidelines 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. p. 700. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 1, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre Map" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre". City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "South Campus Fort Edmonton Park Transit Centre to Fort Edmonton Park Maps". Google. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "Brochures in PDF". City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "School Service: ETS Trip Planner". City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
Media related to South Campus/Fort Edmonton Park at Wikimedia Commons