South City Mall
South City Mall on its 4th Anniversary
|Location||375, Prince Anwar Shah Road, Kolkata - 68|
|Opening date||16 January 2008|
|Developer||South City projects (Kolkata) Ltd.|
|Architect||ICS Bentel Associates|
|No. of stores and services||167|
|No. of anchor tenants||6|
|Total retail floor area||1,025,000 sq ft (95,200 m2)|
|No. of floors||5|
South City Mall is the largest shopping mall in Kolkata, India and in the whole of West Bengal. Located on Prince Anwar Shah Road near the upper-middle class suburbs of Jodhpur Park, Lake Gardens, Dhakuria and Golf Green, it has been open since 16 January 2008. It has a Gross Lease-able Area of 650,000 sq ft (60,000 m2) and parking for 2,500 vehicles.
The mall was designed by retail specialist ICS Bentel Associates. Anchored by major stores like Pantaloons, Spencer's Retail and Shoppers Stop, there are also 134 other stores, a food court on the top floor and a INOX multiplex
- South City Mall houses a six screen INOX multiplex with over 1426 seats and plush sofa recliners both in the theatre hall and outside, at the lounge cum food court inside the multiplex's premises. It is often considered the most high-end, digitally and technically advanced, and overall the best multiplex in the city in terms of quality, quantity, ambience, luxury etc. However, after the opening of Quest Mall, the only luxury mall in eastern India, it is now debatable as many now believe that Quest has the best multiplex, with an in-house cafe, impeccable ambience, recliner seats and gourmet delicacies from around the world on offer.
- It houses a food court called Food Talk, which contains kiosks of food from around the world. It also features some fine restaurants like Mainland China. Confectionery is available at Kookie Jar, The Cream and Fudge Factory, Swirl's, Candy Treat, The Cookie Man, Coffee World, Spencer's Bakery, Cafe Coffee Day
One person died and three others critically injured, in an accident involving four workers who were putting up advertising banners when the ladder on which they were standing on collapsed.The incident occurred in January 2014.In 2016 in food club the state of bengal got fire, 6 people's died. 9 persons injured, this happened in this between December 2016 -January 2017.
Fire at South City Mall
On 4 December 2016 which was a Sunday morning at 9:15 am fire broke out at South City Mall Food Court. People noticed black smoke engulfing the food court. Security guards immediately severed electric connections and alerted people watching the movie show in the multiplex.The movie which was running in the Inox Movie Theatre was stopped and viewers and visitors were taken out safely from South City Mall. No people were injured.15 fire tenders rushed to spot and controlled the fire. Fire minister Sovon Chatterjee visited the spot.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South City Shopping Mall.|
- "shoppers stop south city mall in Jadavpur kolkata | shoppers stop south city mall Jadavpur Phone Numbers & Address | Bazaars & Shopping Complexes - Yahoo! India Local". In.local.yahoo.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "South City Mall, South City Shopping Mall Kolkata West Bengal India". Kolkatamalls.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "South City Projects (Kolkata) Ltd. - Residential Tower". South City Projects. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "South City Projects (Kolkata) Ltd. - South City Mall". South City Projects. Retrieved 2 May 2013.