South Dakota Highway 47
Route of SD 47 (in red)
|Maintained by SDDOT|
|Length||240.866 mi (387.636 km)|
|Existed||1927 – present|
|North end||37th Avenue Southeast at the North Dakota border|
South Dakota Highway 47 (SD 47) is a state route that runs north to south across the central portion of South Dakota. It begins at an unnumbered highway at the North Dakota border north of Eureka, and ends at the Nebraska border, where it becomes Nebraska Highway 137. It is just under 241 miles (388 km) in length.
This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (December 2009)
When initially established in the mid-1920s, South Dakota 47 extended from U.S. Highway 16 at Pukwana to U.S. Highway 18 at Wheeler, along what is currently portions of South Dakota Highway 50 and Charles Mix County Highway 49. Several alignment changes have occurred since then:
- Around 1932: The south end of SD 47 was truncated at Platte.
- Around 1936: The north end of SD 47 was extended west to Chamberlain, then north to the intersection of U.S. Highway 14 at Highmore.
- Around 1939: The segment between Pukwana and Platte was redesignated as part of South Dakota Highway 43. SD 47 was rerouted west from Chamberlain to Oacoma, then extended southward to U. S. 18 at Gregory.
- Circa 1950: South end extended to the Nebraska border, via a shared alignment with U. S. 18 to Burke.
- 1955: In Oacoma, SD 47 was rerouted west to near Reliance, before heading south to meet with the old alignment near the White River. On the north end, SD 47 was extended north to Eureka via Lebanon and Bowdle.
- 1965: North end was extended to the North Dakota border.
- 1976: The segment between Ft. Thompson and Reliance, which had previously passed through Chamberlain and Oacoma, was rerouted onto the more direct road formerly known as South Dakota Highway 47W, which had been constructed around 1965. The previous segment between Ft. Thompson and Chamberlain was designated as an extension of South Dakota Highway 50.
|Keya Paha||||0.000||0.000||N-137 south||Continuation into Nebraska|
|Gregory||Burke||12.526||20.159||US 18 east||Eastern end of US 18 concurrency|
|Gregory||20.607||33.164||US 18 west / SD 251 south||Northern terminus of SD 251, western end of US 18 concurrency|
|Lyman||||57.040||91.797||SD 49 south||Northern terminus of SD 49|
|I-90 – Chamberlain||I-90 exit 251.|
|Buffalo||Fort Thompson||89.034||143.286||SD 249 north||Southern terminus of SD 249|
|89.639||144.260||SD 34 east||Southern end of SD 34 concurrency|
|Hyde||||99.110||159.502||SD 34 west||Northern end of SD 34 concurrency|
|Highmore||120.931||194.620||US 14 – Pierre, Huron|
|||138.539||222.957||SD 26 east||Western terminus of SD 26|
|Faulk||||157.633||253.686||US 212 east||Eastern end of US 212 concurrency|
|Potter||||171.602||276.167||US 212 west||Western end of US 212 concurrency|
|||181.590||292.241||SD 20 east||Southern end of SD 20 concurrency|
|Walworth||||185.270||298.163||SD 20 west||Northern end of SD 20 concurrency|
|||199.254||320.668||US 12 west||Western end of US 12 concurrency|
|Edmunds||Bowdle||206.415||332.193||US 12 east||Eastern end of US 12 concurrency|
|||215.665||347.079||SD 253 south||Northern terminus of SD 253|
|McPherson||Eureka||227.833||366.662||SD 10 west||Western end of SD 10 concurrency|
|228.764||368.160||SD 10 east||Eastern end of SD 10 concurrency|
|McIntosh||||240.866||387.636||37th Avenue Southeast||Continuation into North Dakota|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
|Location||Fort Thompson – Reliance|
|Length||19 mi (31 km)|
South Dakota Highway 47W was a state route located in central South Dakota. SD 47W designated around 1965, on a newly constructed road linking Fort Thompson and Reliance. This designation was used only for 10 years; it was made part of South Dakota Highway 47 when a portion of that route was realigned.
- "State Highway Log: Mitchell Region" (PDF). South Dakota Department of Transportation. January 2012. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- "State Highway Log: Pierre Region" (PDF). South Dakota Department of Transportation. January 2012. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
- "State Highway Log: Aberdeen Region" (PDF). South Dakota Department of Transportation. January 2012. Retrieved December 26, 2013.
Route map: Google