South Dakota elections, 2010
|Elections in South Dakota|
United States Senate
Republican incumbent John Thune is running for re-election.
United States House
Democratic incumbent Stephanie Herseth Sandlin is running for re-election.
Mike Rounds, the current Republican Governor, is term-limited and will not be seeking re-election in 2010. Five candidates are running for the Republican nomination. The winner of the Republican primary will face Democratic State Senator Scott Heidepriem in the general election.
Other Statewide Officers
The offices of Lieutenant Governor, Secretary of State, Attorney General, Treasurer, Auditor, Commissioner of School and Public Lands, and Public Utility Commissioner will be up for election in 2010. Candidates for each party will be nominated at the 2010 state conventions of each political party.
All thirty-five seats of the South Dakota Senate will be up for election in 2010.
State House of Representatives
All seventy seats in the South Dakota House of Representatives are up for election in 2010.
Multiple judicial positions will be up for election in 2010.
Four measures have been certified for the November 2 ballot:
1. Protects the right to secret ballots in federal, state, and union representation elections
2. Repeals the automatic annual transfer of $12 million from the trust fund to the state general fund
3. Extends smoking ban to apply statewide
4. Proposes legalization of medical marijuana
County offices including County Commissioners, County Auditors, County Registers of Deeds, and County Sheriffs are up for election in 2010.
In its closed primary election on June 8, party members will elect delegates to the Republican Party State Convention and the Democratic Party State Convention.
- Offices to be filled in the 2010 Elections, South Dakota Secretary of State, Retrieved April 9, 2010.
- Elections and Voter Registration from the South Dakota Secretary of State
- Candidates for South Dakota State Offices at Project Vote Smart
- South Dakota Polls at Pollster.com
- South Dakota Congressional Races in 2010 campaign finance data from OpenSecrets.org
- South Dakota 2010 campaign finance data from Follow the Money
- Imagine Election - Find out which candidates will appear on your ballot - search by address or zip code.