South Fallsburg, New York
Downtown looking north along NY 42
|Etymology: South of hamlet of Fallsburg|
Location of South Fallsburg in Sullivan County, New York
|• Total||6.1 sq mi (16 km2)|
|• Land||6.0 sq mi (16 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867418|
South Fallsburg is a hamlet and census-designated place in Sullivan County, New York, United States.[better source needed] South Fallsburg is located within the Town of Fallsburg at (41.716489, -74.630279).
South Fallsburg is located in the onetime resort area of the Catskill Mountains known as the Borscht Belt. The Raleigh Hotel on Heiden Road is a 320-room Glatt Kosher Cholov Yisrael hotel for Hasidic Jews sitting on 200 acres (0.81 km2); it also serves as a convention center for religious and nonreligious groups. The Rivoli Theatre and South Fallsburg Hebrew Association Synagogue are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 2,870 people, 909 households, and 606 families residing in South Fallsburg. There were 1,385 housing units. The racial makeup of the CDP included 63.7% White and 14.2% African American. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 38.5% of the population. Families including a husband and a wife made up 38.8% of the population. As of 2017, an estimated 59.2% of residents were below the poverty level.
- "South Fallsburg, New York (NY) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders". www.city-data.com.
- "American FactFinder - Community Facts - South Fallsburg, New York CDP". factfinder.census.gov. Archived from the original on May 24, 2017. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "Community Resource Directory - Schools". Sullivan County Democrat. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "Map of Town of Fallsburg" (PDF). Town of Fallsburg official site. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "This Is What The Abandoned Hotels Of The Borscht Belt Look Like Now". Gothamist. October 10, 2016. Archived from the original on October 10, 2019. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Kaminer, Michael; Scheinfeld, Marisa; Travel, Yahoo (September 11, 2014). "Step inside upstate New York's abandoned Borscht Belt hotels".
- "The Jewish World | Borscht Belt staff reminisce about the glory days of the Jewish Alps and their part in making it happen".
- Lakritz, Megan Willett, Talia. "23 eerie photos that show the crumbling beauty of New York's abandoned 'Borscht Belt' resorts". Business Insider.
- Editor, Y. W. (11 February 2007). "South Fallsburg: Raleigh Hotel back in business".CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "American FactFinder - Results - South Fallsburg CDP, New York". factfinder.census.gov. Archived from the original on May 24, 2017. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Staff, A. O. L. "Gavin DeGraw Selling Modest Home in 'Other' Hollywood". AOL.com.
- News-Times, The (4 January 2008). "Songwriting craft is Joey DeGraw's passion". NewsTimes.
- Feldman, Sari (February 16, 2018). "What I Learned From Bestselling Author Andrew Neiderman". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Yakin, Heather (October 4, 2006). "South Fallsburg girl dies after car hits tree". recordonline.com. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- Nanci, Matthew. "Sullivan reports 3 new measles cases; total now 5". recordonline.com.
- Manville B. Wakefield, To The Mountains By Rail