South Floral Park, New York
South Floral Park, New York
|Incorporated Village of South Floral Park|
"A Community With Pride"
|County||Nassau County, New York|
|• Mayor||Geoffrey N. Prime|
|• Total||0.1 sq mi (0.25 km2)|
|• Land||0.1 sq mi (0.25 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||69 ft (21 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||18,453.61/sq mi (7,105.37/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0965746|
The Incorporated Village of South Floral Park is inside the Town of Hempstead.
Originally, the community was known as Jamaica Square.
The Village of South Floral Park was incorporated in November 1925 as the Village of Jamaica Square. This name had been used since the area was first developed ca. 1905; the name was originally chosen so as to reflect the fact that it was down the road from Jamaica, Queens and next to Franklin Square. However its name was changed to South Floral Park in 1931 due to confusion with said neighborhood in Queens; the new name was chosen based on the fact that the village is located immediately south of and adjacent to Floral Park.
Residents decided to incorporate their community because they felt that the Town of Hempstead was unable to adequately fulfill the needs of their community, and believed that a more localized government would be able to govern it better.
The South Floral Park Village Hall is located in the heart of the village at 383 Roquette Ave, and its current mayor is Mayor Geoffrey N. Prime.
South Floral Park is located at (40.713148, -73.700514).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), all of it land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2000 census there were 1,578 people, 456 households, and 383 families in the village. The population density was 15,776.3 people per square mile (6,092.7/km2). There were 462 housing units at an average density of 4,618.9 per square mile (1,783.8/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 22.18% White, 59.06% African American, 0.25% Native American, 3.80% Asian, 6.15% from other races, and 8.56% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.56%.
Of the 456 households 35.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 22.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 16.0% were non-families. 12.3% of households were one person and 5.9% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 3.46 and the average family size was 3.72.
The age distribution was 26.7% under the age of 18, 7.9% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.9% 65 or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.8 males.
The median household income was $64,205 and the median family income was $68,000. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $37,292 for females. The per capita income for the village was $21,091. About 0.8% of families and 2.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 27, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- Winsche, Richard (October 1, 1999). The History of Nassau County Community Place-Names. Interlaken, New York: Empire State Books. pp. 94–95. ISBN 978-1557871541.
- "History Of Our Village". The Incorporated Village of South Floral Park. Retrieved 2021-06-12.
- "Village Government". The Incorporated Village of South Floral Park. Retrieved 2021-06-12.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.