South Garo Hills district
|South Garo Hills district
|District of Meghalaya|
Location of South Garo Hills district in Meghalaya
|• Assembly seats||7|
|• Total||1,850 km2 (710 sq mi)|
|• Density||54/km2 (140/sq mi)|
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named South Garo Hills one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the three districts in Meghalaya currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
South Garo Hills district is divided into four blocks:
According to the 2011 census South Garo Hills district has a population of 142,574, roughly equal to the nation of Saint Lucia. This gives it a ranking of 604th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 77 inhabitants per square kilometre (200/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 41.19%. South Garo Hills has a sex ratio of 944 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 72.39%.
Flora and fauna
In 1986 South Garo Hills district became home to Balphakram National Park, which has an area of 220 km2 (84.9 sq mi). It shares Nokrek National Park (47 km2 (18.1 sq mi), established in 1986) with two other districts.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- Meghalaya Administrative Divisions (PDF) (Map). The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India, New Delhi, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-29.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Saint Lucia 161,557 July 2011 est.
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "A'Tong: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 2011-09-28.
- Indian Ministry of Forests and Environment. "Protected areas: Meghalaya". Retrieved September 25, 2011. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "parks" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
||East Garo Hills|
|West Garo Hills||West Khasi Hills|
|This article related to a location in the Indian state of Meghalaya is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|