This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
South Hampstead is part of the London Borough of Camden in inner northwest London. It is commonly defined as the area between: West End Lane in the west, the Chiltern Main Line (south), Broadhurst Gardens north and north-west followed by a non-road line demarcating the south slopes of Hampstead village, west of Belsize Park and north and west of the usually narrowly defined Swiss Cottage neighbourhood. It takes in some of Fitzjohns Avenue leading up to "the village", that is of Hampstead, but the exact amount is an arbitrary measure.[n 1]
Notable residents and associated organisation
- Nahum Sokolow, author and Zionist statesman
- The 43 Group, an anti-fascist group of Jewish ex-servicemen after WW2 who broke up right wing marches and fought fascists in the streets, was founded here.
- Kylie Minogue, singer
- ETA, the Basque separatist group, and PLO, the Palestinian Liberation Organisation, used houses here as safe houses in the 1970s.
- Barry Humphries, Australian comedian known for playing Dame Edna Everage
- Natalie Imbruglia, singer
- Hampstead Village (to the north-east)
- Swiss Cottage (to the south-east) and Primrose Hill (to the far south-east)
- Belsize Park (to the east)
- St John's Wood (to the south)
- West Hampstead (to the north-west)
- Finchley Road where considered a neighbourhood (narrow linear area in the east continuing to the north)
- Maida Vale and Kilburn (to the west)
- South Hampstead railway station (London Overground)
- Swiss Cottage tube station (Jubilee line)
- Finchley Road tube station (Jubilee and Metropolitan lines)
- West Hampstead railway station (London Overground)
Notes and References
- The blurred boundary is caused by the northern, most well-known part of Finchley Road which has two stations named Finchley Road often being considered its own neighbourhood or sometimes "district" and complex road patterns leading up the hill to Hampstead in the north-east; South Hampstead Junior School is almost next to the Finchley Road stations on Netherall Gardens and South Hampstead High School is on a minor intersection of Fitzjohns Avenue creating the above definition
- "Why It Matters: South Hampstead (Where?) | The Kentishtowner: Daily Magazine for Kentish Town, Camden Town, King's Cross & North London". The Kentishtowner. 2012-06-25. Retrieved 2012-09-19.
- "Welcome to South Hampstead High School | South Hampstead High School". Shhs.gdst.net. Retrieved 2017-06-11.