South Heights, Pennsylvania
|South Heights, Pennsylvania|
Houses on Jordan Street
Location in Beaver County and state of Pennsylvania
|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||0.41 sq mi (1.07 km2)|
|• Land||0.33 sq mi (0.85 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.22 km2)|
|Elevation||814 ft (248 m)|
|• Density||1,454/sq mi (561.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
South Heights is a borough in Beaver County, Pennsylvania, along the Ohio River. The population was 475 at the 2010 census. South Heights was first known as Ethel's Landing, a docking point on the Ohio River. The name of the town was changed to Shannopin when the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad established a station there. When the name of the town was changed to South Heights, the station became known as South Heights Station.
South Heights is located in southeastern Beaver County at  It is bordered to the north and west by Hopewell Township. To the east, across the Ohio River, is the borough of Ambridge. Crescent Township in Allegheny County borders the borough to the south.(40.574634, -80.236096).
According to the United States Census Bureau, South Heights has a total area of 0.42 square miles (1.1 km2), of which 0.31 square miles (0.8 km2) is land and 0.077 square miles (0.2 km2), or 20.69%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 542 people, 239 households, and 146 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,556.5 people per square mile (597.9/km²). There were 256 housing units at an average density of 735.2 per square mile (282.4/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.52% White, 0.74% African American, 0.18% Asian, and 0.55% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.37% of the population.
There were 239 households, out of which 23.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.0% were married couples living together, 8.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.9% were non-families. 33.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.91.
In the borough the population was spread out, with 20.1% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 33.9% from 25 to 44, 23.8% from 45 to 64, and 16.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 104.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.0 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $31,023, and the median income for a family was $36,625. Males had a median income of $27,361 versus $21,719 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $16,440. About 9.1% of families and 9.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.9% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): South Heights borough, Beaver County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.